Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,242 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
My rotation, proximity, light, and orientation sensors all stopped working at once.
KRIKLI68

Sometime in the last week, my rotation, proximity, light, and orientation sensors all stopped working.  Everything worked fine before, but just stopped. I'm not sure exactly when.  All the remotely similar problems here had solutions which didn't apply to me.

It's an LG K8 V purchased almost 2 years ago.  VS500. Hardware version says 1.0.  Android version is 7.0, software update says "20i".

When I rotate the phone, no apps rotate. I checked and changed the quick rotation setting, and all the rotation settings in settings.

My compass shows no needle and is stuck at 0 degrees.

When I hold the phone to my head, the screen does not turn off.

With "auto-brightness" turned on, the brightness doesn't automatically change.

I have a sensors monitor, and all the sensors say "Waiting for sensor to become ready."  It worked before.

I've tried the online troubleshooter, but nothing applied or helped.  I've restarted.  I've powered off and left if off a few minutes.  I tried starting in safemode, but it didn't work there either.  I didn't see anything unusual when searching logcat for "sensor", but there's too much data and I don't know what else to search for.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My rotation, proximity, light, and orientation sensors all stopped working at once.
KRIKLI68

Several hours after I posted this, everything mysteriously started working again.  I didn't do anything special that I know of. 

0 Likes
Re: My rotation, proximity, light, and orientation sensors all stopped working at once.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
KRIKLI68, we are happy to hear things are working better. Was your device pending a Software update? How is the memory looking, are you getting tight on space? 
0 Likes
KRIKLI68

Thanks for your response!

Actually, the same set of symptoms started again today.  Sometime in the afternoon I noticed that the rotation and the auto-brightness weren't working. Further tests show all the other problems described.

All updates have been applied as they appear.  The last update was Tuesday, but the problem started a few days before that, and the previous update was several weeks before the problem started.

"Internal storage" is at 14.5 GB out of 16.

"Running Services" shows:

System: 668 MB

Apps: 349 MB

Free: 388

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you are able to get good performance out of your phone, KRIKLI68. Have you tried putting the phone in safe mode? You can view instructions for putting the device in safe mode by following this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205359/.

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
KRIKLI68

Yes, I tried safemode. It did not affect the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Krikli68, we are not giving up hope. Let's keep working together so that we may see what's going on. Do you currently have a screen protector on the device? Let’s double check to make sure color inversion is off: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-209412/  

TakendraW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KRIKLI68

No screen protector.  Screen color inversion is not on. 

Also, it seems to affect all sensors (orientation, rotation, magnetic, etc), not just light.  The sensors have randomly started working once or twice for a short while, but they've been non-functional most of time.  I've not done anything to make them stop or start.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
KRIKLI68, we appreciate you looking into those areas, as well as for everything you have tried so far. The next best step is to factory reset your phone after backing up your needed content. This will help determine if the issue is caused by a software issue, or if it is hardware based. These steps will help guide you through the factory reset process. Please keep us posted.

0 Likes
KRIKLI68

I don't want to start over on this phone.  I'll keep looking for a solution or just live with it.

0 Likes