New Samsung Galaxy S5 won't download MMS messages
green79

Hi,  I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it wont download the MMS messages.  I've looked everywhere for answers but can only seem to find info on previous iphone users switching to the Galaxy.  This is quite aggravating and would appreciate any advice. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Samsung Galaxy S5 won't download MMS messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want all your messages coming through with your awesome new phone, green79. Did you previously have an iPhone? Do you get a notification that a message is available but the picture will not download? Are text coming through fine?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
mipilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going through the same thing.  I have read the info here and it has been pretty useless.  I am coming from an old-style Casio Brigade.  I would receive a picture message, click on it, and it would open.  With my new Samsung Galaxy S5, this doesn't happen.  There are several messages sitting there, all with a download tab -click it and nothing happens.  I am connected to wifi, and my phone is receiving text messages, so why no photo messages?  Of course, if I turn on "mobile data" and choose to be charged an outrageous amount for data, then everything works as advertised.  It SHOULD be able to receive this like any other text message, as it did on my old phone.  If it needs the internet (and I don't understand why it would), it IS connected via wifi in my home.  How do you or I fix this so that I don't have to use my mobile data each time I receive a group or photo message?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want all of your messages to come in as smooth as your previous phone, mipilot. Mobile Data is needed to download MMS messages (pictures, videos, group messages) using the native application on your phone. The data used during the Mobile Data download for those messages do not apply to your allowance. And if you leave WiFi connected too, you'll still be able to use WiFi to avoid usage from other services. If you would prefer to leave Mobile Data turned off you can use text applications, like Verizon Messages http://vz.to/1q9CHkE to send and receive MMS messages over WiFi.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

green79

I did not have an iPhone nor have I ever had an iPhone. I receive notifications sometimes that i have a text but i can not open the download box even when on wifi. I don't understand why these messages will not just download automatically because most aren't even photos or videos just text. I shouldn't have to keep trying to download texts on mobile data while on wifi only to have them not come through. It's a constant battle everyday and is affecting my communication at work! I'm so frustrated!!!

0 Likes
mipilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

HOW??????????????????????????? You failed to explain the process. The

research that I have done has said: Texts can be sent as texts, just as

I always have. Pictures messages: You MUST turn on mobile data. You

CAN"T get them via wifi. They then suggested that if I wanted to send

pics, send them via email over wifi or with mobile data turned on. What

a load of crap! Instead of making my life simpler, it is far more

complicated! I want to leave mobile data turned OFF, to minimize data

usage. I prefer to utilize wifi. If I am away from wifi, I want to use

text messaging, including to send/receive pics -just as I always have.

Anything else requires me to activate mobile data, remember to turn it

back off again when I'm done, etc., etc.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Sending or receiving MMS files requires a data connection to the network.  There is no data usage and you are not charged for data when sending these files.  MMS files are charged against your Text quota.  MMS files cannot be sent via Wifi.

My phone is set up with data and wifi always on. Wifi is automatically used 99 percent of the time.  If your phone is set up correctly  there is no need to turn data and wifi on and off to get things done.

0 Likes
jtlrose

well someone tell us how to set this damn s5 up     mine is blocking mms and on occasion emails and other apps

0 Likes
cbloom006

I also need to move MSM messages. My Galaxy Nexus old phone screen is broken so I can't transfer. Help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cbloom006!

I know how important those pictures are! Let's see what we can do. When hooking the phone up to the PC with the USB cable, does a file open up so you can view & transfer the pictures? Does it recognize the device? Please keep me posted, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport