Re: New Samsung Galaxy S5 won't download MMS messages
IrishEyes0401

I just changed carriers to Verizon & upgraded from the S3 to S5. I was always able to send & receive picture messages on the S3 through wifi & now I am unable to do so with this new phone on the Verizon network. I'm not tech savy  & don't understand why now I have to turn off wifi & turn on data just to send a picture  message that I never had trouble doing before. Please help or explain!

0 Likes
Nikki56786
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you!!

This setting was already selected on my phone, but I found that by simply un-checking it, then re-checking it did the trick. Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
Outlaw621

Make sure Mobile Data is turned on. You can check this by pulling down your notifications than select the "properties" button (square icon next to settings icon on top right of notification window).

0 Likes
Imbedunn

Hi I had the same problem.  I actually stumbled across the solution while trying to solve another error issue I was having with my S5.  Here is a link to a video I used to solve my problem which resulted in solving the picture download issue as well. As soon as I fixed the error with the instructions from this video, all my picture messages downloaded. It worked great. Good luck.

Android Error - Unfortunately (app name) has stopped - Fix - YouTube

0 Likes
freegentile

Klue wrote:

Sending or receiving MMS files requires a data connection to the network.  There is no data usage and you are not charged for data when sending these files.  MMS files are charged against your Text quota.  MMS files cannot be sent via Wifi.

My phone is set up with data and wifi always on. Wifi is automatically used 99 percent of the time.  If your phone is set up correctly  there is no need to turn data and wifi on and off to get things done.

You choose to have your data connections turned on 24/7, but that actually makes you a huge security risk compared to folks who keep theirs throttled off. Our family had a couple of HTC Thunderbolts thru Verizon & they never showed a data connection icon when sending standard text messages. When sending pictures, yes, mobile data would come on, but not standard texts. We're now running into an issue similar to the one folks describe here; i.e. even using Verizon Messages on new S5 w/ the Android Lollipop OS, nothing sends or receives w/out throttling on mobile data or wifi. Anyone seen any performance difference between the default Samsung "Messages" apps vs. Verizon Messages?

0 Likes
AmyDunn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had this happen after a system update to G900VVRU2BOE1. I tried everything listed here short of a factory reset.

Here's what finally fixed it for me:

Settings -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network mode

I changed this from 'Global' to 'LTE/GSM/UMTS' and all of the missing pictures downloaded.

I have changed it back to 'Global' and picture messages are now working again.

Hope this helps someone! Smiley Happy

FishermanInPenfield
Enthusiast - Level 2

This had been happening on my wife's phone for a long time. Finally fixed it with information in one of the posts here to a youtube video.

Anyway, here is what I did to fix it:

Settings...Storage...

Click Cache

It will prompt you about deleting the Cache, click OK.

My wife's phone had over 3GB in the cache. Cleared it and the problem disappeared!

0 Likes