Re: New lollipop update crap
Tidbits
Legend

ziggy1962 wrote:

My problem with the carrier is that they are the the ones making the money on the charges for over data use becuse the WiFi keeps dropping and you don't know it

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Then I wish you luck.  They did not produce nor code for the device you are using.  Verizon is selling a service and you chose the device and the manufacturer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Normally, I'm with you. But in this case, if you have a device and it's working very efficiently, then there is an OTA that is pushed on you, one's expectation is the device performance will only IMPROVE not degrade to the point calls are unreliable, texts are unreliable, battery life is sufficiently degraded, purchased accessories no longer work, apps crash, the phone reboots, the phone heats up, the phone won't charge, the phone uses a lot of additional data it didn't before, you have to perform low-level cache clears, uninstall programs, hunt for incompatible programs, perform a FDR, and you STILL may end up with an improperly operating device.

VZW is supposed to regression test, and one can make the argument they only need check for network compatibility, then allow the OEM to release the OTA, BUT, they are also specifying what is put on top of the vanilla version are they not? Don't they have a strong interest in the user experience? Aren't the devices promotionally priced for the carriers? Who is actually paying the OEM when say, you upgrade to a new model for $0.00 or $30.00?

I think when this sort of thing happens the carrier should protect their user community.

These people having problems didn't go off and mod their devices, VZW and the OEM did. Had the users known they'd have problems of this breadth and depth, they would have just said NO to the update, and that should have been the end of it.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

And I disagree with you.

Everyone just about was chomping at the bit for the lollipop update. Not installing it, at least for them, was not an option, just as they themselves stated that doing a fdr was not an option. Add that to the many complaints that verizon is SLOW to release new software and there's a recipe for disaster. So in more ways than one it was self inflicted issues, and they still are.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's not up to Verizon...  Verizon did not write the code nor made the device.

Here's the deal...  Look at Europe and how often and how well manufacturers take care of those devices.  Everyone in Europe pressures the manufacturers for their update.  They have carrier testing, they have contracts for subsidize devices.  Early on they did what we did and then they shifted and they get more updates, and more fixes more often than we do.  Just some food for thought.

Samsung is the one putting touchwiz.  Show me one thing that Verizon puts on top of touchwiz or Android itself that isn't tied to RIL.  All the other code is set forth by the manufacturer and only the manufacturer.  All the things that Verizon needs done is at the user level or has no effect in the actual performance of the device(locked bootloader for example). 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

stef7 wrote:

These people having problems didn't go off and mod their devices, VZW and the OEM did. Had the users known they'd have problems of this breadth and depth, they would have just said NO to the update, and that should have been the end of it.

Verizon doesn't touch code, nor made the device.  Also people are the ones pressuring for updates and wanting it as quickly as possible.  Then when something goes wrong they blame Verizon for bad updates? So you can say it's a catch 22.  No matter what they do they can't make everyone happy.  Also not being able to downgrade is Samsung's doing.

Also here's some evidence to show Europe is doing it right, and get better support.

pick ANY Samsung device and compare updates whether small or large.  Our way of thinking is what got us here.  Europe changed how HTC does things.  Motorola got sold of twice because of European sales figures as well.  Europeans spoke with their money, and didn't blame the carriers.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

This link will probably be deleted, but yah all the firmware ever released by Samsung for their devices.

0 Likes
roya44

My feelings exactly. So anyone know when that patch is coming out? My

company is BYOD, so all of my security stuff is on this phone. It will be a

major pain to do the reset and then have to have IT help with the

reinstall...which they ALWAYS do because androids don't always cooperate

and follow the instructions.

0 Likes