Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
New phone replaced with a refurbished phone
jean504

My defective droid, purchased in January, was replaced by a refurbished phone.  Customer Support refuses to replace my phone with a new one.  They told me if I wanted a new phone that I would be charged.  Has anyone had the same experience?  Is there a legal recourse?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New phone replaced with a refurbished phone
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Legal recourse for what? Following the manufacturer's warranty as written in the user's manual for your phone?

If you return the phone to a Verizon store within 14 days after purchase for a defect, you should be able to receive a new device. After this point, the manufacturer's warranty kicks in. Verizon facilitates this for you by supplying a refurbished phone, but you are well within your rights to return the phone to the manufacturer for warranty work.

You take your chances on whether or not you will receive a "new" phone from the manufacturer, though. No guarantee you will not receive a refurbished phone from them, either. And you will also be without a phone while Motorola decides what to do. With Verizon, you don't have to return your defective unit until you receive the replacement.

0 Likes
jean504

Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer.  I guess I am going to have to face the fact that I have a refurbished phone and learn to deal with it.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

After a couple of days no won't know the difference. I've had several CPO phones and have never had any more problems with them than I've had with a new phone.

demmo86rt
Leader
Leader

My last phone I had to replace a couple times for various reasons (I don't think it was ever because it was a refurb, the replacements each lasted at least as long as the original) and each time I never would have known it wasn't a new phone.  It actually looked kinda funny putting my old, beat up back cover on what looked like a brand new phone.

pamelanne01

Verizon Wireless....BUYER BEWARE!!!!  I got a new Samsung 3 - I paid $199 for it and signed a new 2 year contract. Some minor issues from the get go but nothing big until now......I've only had it for apx 4 months....It started blacking out on me.... reverting back to manufacture settings....google calendar was not working properly. I took it to the verizon store - was there for 1.5 hours while a manager and then a tech looked it over. Neither could figure out why/what was wrong. They did a few things told me to come back if it still happened. Than it happened even more and programs crashed. I went back to the store - they said they'd send me a new phone.....They did indeed a "LIKE NEW - REFURBISHED" phone. I even have the month to month insurance. We spoke with 2 people at verizon and they refused to give me a new phone. So I'm stuck with a refurbished phone - out $199 - and they got me for another 2 year contract. I was NEVER told that a replacement was going to be a refurbished one. Not Good Business.....Seriously thinking about taking my business elsewhere....Been a long time customer and get treated like this. Sooooo Wrong! Shame on Verizon Wireless!

Not applicable

Read your contract.  You were told and you agreed.

0 Likes
WEEZ1967

yep! Got a bad Google pixel 3XL, 16 days past the new one I had to return it and they sent me a refurbished phone and still want to charge me 950 bucks for a brand new one! Bunch of garbage! Contacting the better business bureau