Re: Nexus 5
maddnyss
Enthusiast - Level 1

No Nexus 5? No Money. Goodbye VZW.

aaronZona
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure which is more frustrating...

Big Red not getting the Nexus 5

or

No one from the company responding to THEIR OWN FORUM

At least Google had a response... http://www.androidauthority.com/verizon-nexus-5-happening-set-projects-2014-planned-carrier-313206/

Hey Verizon, if your not going to carry a device that your customers have been looking forward to for a year, maybe it would be a great idea to announce something today. BTW, the Droid Mini (released today) is NOT a comparable device. Neither is the HTC One Maxx. Or a White G2. Or a Galaxy Mini. (All which are slated for release in November.)

I get that the Galaxy Nexus had updating issues, as it was the last Nexus to receive updates compared to every other carrier. It all comes down to money. And considering what the device is selling for on the Play Store, $349, it would be a slam dunk to get your customers signing a 2 year contract for the device. Or at least compared to the iPhone and the subsidy, which is many times less profitable. The amount that Verizon pays to subsidize the iPhone is massive, the Nexus could have been released through Verizon at a subsidized price starting at $150, and every Verizon store would have run out today. The Nexus 5 sold out in 33 minutes today in the Play store. Wow, did Verizon miss the mark. now that the holidays are on the way, even more devices will be sold, and the hottest Android device will require a change of carrier for anyone wanting one. Sprint and T-Mobile are in for loads of new subscribers for their foresight. Because at the end of the day its not just the network that matters, its the device you have to live with for 2 years.

kellynj
Enthusiast - Level 1

4 lines, almost 17 years as a Verizon customer and this was the last straw.  Sick & tired of the mandatory bloatware that we can't even manage, much less remove, the forced "updates" to those same bloatware apps no one uses that take all available RAM space to force purchasing updated phones, the bootloader lockouts to the most basic functions of the Android OS - really, aren't those enough reasons?  And that's BEFORE Verizon, AGAIN, has screwed up to the point where Google can't trust you with their phones. 

Done.

I've been off contract for months on the last phone on the lines specifically waiting for the new Nexus to arrive.  Already ordered.  As soon as it gets here - buh bye. 

That's also not even bringing up that 4 lines with unlimited data will SAVE me close to $100/month on another network.

aranger21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow... I've become a troll to my own post. smh

So, just came across this gem:  https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3507867?hl=en&ref_topic=3415518

Bottom line:  Verizon is off the hook! They don't have to worry about testing and ultimately delaying the release of KitKat to Galaxy Nexus owners!!!  KitKat won't be available for GNex!!!

So now Verizon can get back to not rushing that 4.3 update out to GNex owners.

...and that's it... no more trolling for me - I've ordered my Nexus 5.  It arrives next week (thank goodness I got my order within minutes of the announcement) - and I'm off to T-Mobile then and adios to VZW.

0 Likes
JeremySchneider

I agree.  I'm very disappointed.  I guess Verizon is saving me money though, because they continue to keep phones off their network that I would like to buy and use (like the Google Nexus 5).  So, I just keep using my old phone.  I'm used to it.  I'll just wait some more, and then maybe just give up on Verizon, 

0 Likes
Reefer82

This has pretty much sealed VZW's fate in my world.  I've been a customer for the past decade, pay over $200 a month and have been for most of that time.  I've been waiting nearly a year since the Nexus 4 came out for a Nexus device.  I have a new Nexus 7, not LTE of course since I'm barred from that option and just wanted to say thanks for that experience!  Morons...

Both of my lines have been up for renewal for roughly a year now, holding out for the new Nexus device.  Now that I know it's nowhere in sight I'm done.  Does VZW just not make enough money off the deal or what?  It just doesn't make business sense in my eyes to not sell a phone that has MILLIONS of loyal customers that buy every iteration released in quantities so vast it causes a multi month back order.  I waited too long to find out the official news that it was definitely not being carried by VZW to get one off the first batch so I'm placing my order now and whenever the phones arrive I'm done.  I'll give up the reliable network, the speed, and the unlimited data to get a product I actually WANT to own.  Yes it means that much to me to have something I enjoy.  I swear it's like trying to appease a 2yr old child with getting you guys to listen to anything anyone says or would like to have.  Too bad not enough people in the world have the guts to just up and change carrier to get what they want to actually make a difference. 

I know there has been a release that things are coming, but too little, too late.  I want this phone, NOW. 

I jumped on the 4G bandwagon years ago with the Tbolt and it was such a huge disappointment that I went to a store to try and get something different I was basically told to suck it  For some reason I thought this time around it might be different, I should have known better. 

0 Likes
zerophi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon listen to your customers.... We're pissed off!!  I've been trying to contact live support for an hr now but it's busy, i guess a lot of people are busy complaining about your poor decision to not carry the NEXUS 5. What the hell are you thinking?? Didn't you learn your lesson with the IPhone? Customers are always right and if you don't give us what we want we will go elsewhere to another carrier that provides what the customer demands. Wake up!! I've been a VZW customer for like 10+ years with 4 lines and spend close to $300 a month. When my contract is up I'm leaving, maybe sooner if AT&T gives me a deal on new phones. Your service is no longer the king on the block and your acting like a dictator by forcing your customers to buy bloatware, locking out NFC features and delaying android updates. VZW is a cell phone SERVICE PROVIDER you shouldn't dictate software or hardware. Your not a software company or a cell phone maker so quit meddling in those affairs. Stick to what you do good and that's cell phone coverage. VZW you have been losing your edge against AT&T for awhile now and this is going to send a lot of your loyal customers to other carriers just because you don't' want to play nice with GOOGLE. Hey guess what Google is everywhere and everyone loves them so get with the program!!! Steve Jobs isn't around anymore(God rest his soul) and Google owns Motorola so I ask you once again, What the HELL are you thinking???      Just my 2 cents.......

larkhillv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Amen. Exactly the point. It was such a poor decision to not collaborate with Google on this to ensure that the N5 was compatible with VZW. Now all of the new Nexus users are basically forced to use other carriers, even if they want to stay on VZW for some reason, essentially driving away many loyal customers. Way to go. This was just handled so poorly on VZW's end. You'd think they'd learn after butchering the Galaxy Nexus and then not carrying the N4.

0 Likes
lawclerk114
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ladies & Gentlemen, let's take a stroll down memory lane back to a time when the brand Verizon was worn like a Badge of Honor and the name actually MEANT SOMETHING.  I go back  almost 20 years (1995, 2 lines), "New Every Two" faithfully,  we laughed at everyone else's "Inferior" network and the thought was always "What Can Be Better Than This...". But like an abusive relationship I kept re-upping and hoping things would get better.   There were disappointments along the way (Cough!!!, the 1st BlackBerry Storm, Waiting FOREVER for the release of the HTC One), but I rolled with the punches like everyone else.  No more, not after today... While my trusty BlackBerry Torch 9850 has served me well for the last 2 1/2 years, it's on a Death Row march as of 2:55 today.  Thank you Google, a SuperPhone at a price so affordable I picked up two.  Let me be clear, IT'S THE CUSTOMER who drives the business not the other way around.  Apparently Verizon has forgotten this somewhere down this twisted road we've all been on.  The best way to speak to them is WITH YOUR DOLLARS, and I won't leave angry or bitter i'll just leave.  Wish I could say I'm sad about leaving, but I'm not.  On average, it's been about $189-190 per month for 18 years (You can do the math, close to $41 Grand) so (with sarcasm) "It is with Great Sadness" that I tender my resignation here at Verizon effective October 31, 2013.  Remember everyone you have OPTIONS.  Six years ago BlackBerry was on Top of The World, but due to their inability to keep up with the times (as well as their Arrogance) they're about to become Extinct.  Winston Churchill once said "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it". Verizon, Can You hear Me Now?

pajones
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a Verizon customer for 6ish years I guess, and I think this is going to be what causes me to leave.  My contract is up, and I've been waiting for a decent phone that isn't $700 off contract to keep my (already expensive) unlimited plan.  I'm not going to get a subsidized phone and lose unlimited data.  T-Mobile not only has decent LTE coverage in my area now, but they also cost about half as much with my company discount, and won't require some special phone when I travel overseas.

I ordered my N5 and will get a month to month plan with T-Mobile to try it out.  Barring any major insufficiencies, Verizon will stop getting my money within the next 30 days.

Will be nice to not have to wait ages for Verizon to update the phone, the junkware that is added... etc.

Competitors may not have the network buildout that Verizon has, but customer experience is about more than just how many bars I get in a podunk town.  I bought my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and hoped the carrier might turn a corner, but nope, always lagging behind the alternatives with updates, always bring some junky bloatware.

I'm nothing to Verizon in the scheme of things, but that's okay.  I'll pay less to be nothing somewhere else.