Re: Nexus 5
ishmoo21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Leaving Verizon for Tmobile as soon as my Nexus 5 comes in the mail.  $30/month for 100 minutes and unlimited data & text sure beats my verizon 450 minutes, 4GB data, unlimited text for $100/month

armaki
Contributor - Level 1

It's not about just this phone.

Verizon wireless (as well as its parent Verizon Comm) has been the champion of anti-consumer practices since its inception. From crippling device capabilities - locking down bluetooth and usb mode so that customers were forced to use picturemail service to extract pictures from phones,  locking down NFC to prevent google wallet in order to promote its own service, putting massive amount of bloatware, lackluster deice support with industry's slowest updates, repeated violations of FCC rules (verizon was fined multiple times), wanting to control "content" that goes through its network (VZ Comm), not allowing devices (against FCC rules) that verizon can't control 100% (nexus 7 and Nexus 5) -- just to name a few.

Customers have tolerated verizon's unlawful anti-consumer behaviors for a long time - what you see here is just people speaking out.

Jamrx4

I will be taking all four of my accounts to T-Mobile because Verizon refuses to grow up and give their customers the latest from the Google Nexus Line.

If more people threatened this, it would happen. Thanks about that.

0 Likes
openeyed01
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you want to make a company change you have to let your voice be heard. So if you don't care, that's fine, but there seem to be alot of people upset myself included. So just move along now verizon fanboy.

0 Likes
matt619sd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've watched phone after phone pass by and now i'm done. I'm so tired of dealing with locked bootloaders, bloatware, crap updates, and huge bills. Good bye Verizon wireless, now I'll finally have a real nexus to call my own.

P.s I wont miss 2 year contracts either.

webrighter
Enthusiast - Level 1

StraighTalk. Cheaper, more straightforward and Nexus friendly. Yup. I'm calculating the cost of ending the contract over the savings. Straight up, the difference is about $100 in StraightTalk's favor.

0 Likes
armaki
Contributor - Level 1

Nexus 5 in my hand... WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!

Those that are on the verge - just do it!! Get this phone and use it with a GSM carrier (or Sprint).

0 Likes
N2TheBlu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is why I ordered a Nexus 5, knowing it would not work on VZW:

• Bought an HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE on release day (July 2012), to replace my 2-year old original Droid Incredible.  Since then, VZW has provided ZERO Android OS updates.  Z-E-R-O.  Because of this, I am unable to utilize updated tools provided by Google for this OS (Google Now, etc...)

• The only "update" that VZW has provided was to enable global roaming and to push their bloatware/spyware "Verizon Remote Diagnostics" app, allowing VZW employees unrestricted remote access to my device.  This update was automatic, mandatory, and is unable to be removed or disabled, (as per NSA directives?)

• VZW has prevented the use of Google Wallet on this device, in favor of their inferior and proprietary payment system.

• When I purchased this device, I was told by the VZW rep, and was able to confirm myself, that the device could be unlocked via the HTCDev website.  However, mere weeks after making this purchase, VZW bullied HTC into disabling this important developer resource.

• I have posted on the VZWSupport Twitter page several times, requesting information about why VZW has abandoned this device, but my posts are either totally ignored, or I have received canned responses that have been drafted/approved by the VZW corporate communications department that are totally useless.

• In the midst of our contracts, VZW decided to no longer offer the option to update to a new device at 20 months, but is enforcing the full 24 month window.  Since the presents no "material adverse effect", we were unable to legally terminate our contracts.  As a VZW customer of over 10 years, this was an extremely disappointing strategy.

• We also remain deeply discouraged by VZW's decision to force users onto a shared data plan when upgrading to a new device, instead of the option to remain on an unlimited data plan, despite entering into a 2-year contract.  The new activation fees, ostensibly for "customer training sessions", were downright insulting.  I thought the annoyance I felt at the time over these policy changes would wear off, but it has only intensified.

• As an I.T. consultant focusing on the small and medium business markets here in Las Vegas, I am constantly asked by my clients about what cellular service and/or devices I recommend.  In the past, it has always been VZW, due to their strong network here.  However, both T-Mobile and Sprint have been making vast improvements in this city, and combined with VZW's anti-consumer tactics over the last several months, I no longer make that recommendation.

Because of all of the above, I have made a commitment to my clients, and my family, to explore other options.  The Nexus 5 presents the perfect opportunity to do so.  It is a device that is not burdened by VZW's bloatware, spyware, and incomprehensible business strategy.  If all goes well, we will leave VZW, pay the ETFs, and recover our losses within 3 months via the savings incurred from the lower priced options available from other carriers.  I would not want to be a VZW shareholder anytime over the next four quarters, as I believe it will take at least that long for VZW to realize their mistakes and make the necessary corrections in their business plan.

0 Likes
pen2guin3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nicely put my friend..!!!!  Verizon - the people have spoken or should I dare say "Can You Hear Us Now" ------ We want the option to even consider the Nexus 5 as a choice for our next device.

0 Likes
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

I've been reading at all the android sites in comments and forums of an exodus to other carriers for the nexus 5. It is kind of sad that people are voting with their wallets and Verizon isn't even tallying the votes. With 100 million on their network, i don't think they'd even notice, hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands leaving to go elsewhere for a nexus 5.

The only thing Verizon has going for it is their coverage of the US. Their lte network is slow and congested, I only get speeds of 8/2 now slower than my wifi. In Jan 2012 I got speeds of 15/10 when no one was using it. Verizon has barely a selection of phones unlike the other carriers which carry a bevy of phones, including the Nexus 5. Not to mention the difference in prices as well for aff contract unlimited everything the other carriers offers. I think I may be leaving to when my contract is up, unless I hear of something special that comes from this Google and Verizon collaboration on something yet to be announced for 2014. Which will probably be just the approval of the Nexus 7 tablet, Verizon said there was an "issue" with it and asked Google to update it to 4.4 first before they'd allegedly consider approval I read.

0 Likes