Re: Nexus 6 Availability
Tidbits
Legend

You can buy it from Google or Motorola. If you think Verizon carrying it will make you able to get it faster then you will be sorely mistaken. Everywhere is on backorder or limited quantities.

0 Likes
ChrisAwad
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's your point Tidbits? I can buy it from Google or Motorola or any other carrier, true, but not from Verizon where I can get it for a contract price because I have a plan with them currently. My point is, they are telling me fairly (and pretty much statefully) to go to another carrier by refusing to announce it or speaking a word about it (not even a simple confirmation that they will, eventually, in the future carry it) and by setting a persistence that an open phone is never, ever going to happen for Verizon.

Honestly, if I wanted to be locked down by a company I would be a very sure Apple user right now.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are still paying full retail in the grand scheme of things. 

It doesn't matter if you want the phone you'll figure a way to get the phone.  Why bother waiting?  You can put the phone on a payment plan with Motorola, and even if you can get it on contract price how long are you willing to wait for the device?  EVERYWHERE is on backorder at least 1 month(Motorola and Google) if you can be lucky to put on in your cart and actually purchase it over wednesday.  Now if you go with a carrier and try and purchasing it.  You'll wait minimum so far from what I have seen purchasing this month February time frame.

The Galaxy Nexus is unlocked,  You can unlock the M8.  You can also purchase dev versions of the phone. 

Anyway wish you the best of luck.

0 Likes
ChrisAwad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why bother waiter? Because the upgrade price on a phone is factored into the contract price you pay over your 2 year period. You are essentially paying for a new phone every 2 years over and over again, regardless if you use an upgrade. If I "try" to get it from elsewhere, I'd pretty much be paying double. Why care? Because we're talking about Verizon not caring/taking your money/the reasons why/their picking of the phones you get/etc. It's a big deal if you are their customer and you'd be stupid not to care since you are dishing your money out to them every month (in fact, you are dishing it out price wise, more than anyone else).

Just sayin...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

ChrisAwad wrote:

Why bother waiter? Because the upgrade price on a phone is factored into the contract price you pay over your 2 year period. You are essentially paying for a new phone every 2 years over and over again, regardless if you use an upgrade. If I "try" to get it from elsewhere, I'd pretty much be paying double. Why care? Because we're talking about Verizon not caring/taking your money/the reasons why/their picking of the phones you get/etc. It's a big deal if you are their customer and you'd be stupid not to care since you are dishing your money out to them every month (in fact, you are dishing it out price wise, more than anyone else).

Just sayin...

Then it's best to move to a new provider.  Simply enough, or don't get service from anyone until you get what you want.  That's what I would do.  Talk with your wallet, and that's how to change the bottom end...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ChrisAwad wrote:

Why bother waiter? Because the upgrade price on a phone is factored into the contract price you pay over your 2 year period. You are essentially paying for a new phone every 2 years over and over again, regardless if you use an upgrade. If I "try" to get it from elsewhere, I'd pretty much be paying double.

this depends on your plan. i'm currently getting $50/per month off because i have 2 lines that are upgrade eligible and i haven't used them. if you are on a more everything plan with 10 gigs or more, you get a $25 discount per month, per line, that uses an unsubsidized phone. that's $600 over 2 years.......or essentially the cost of a phone. if you don't have the 10 gig plan (or higher) i believe there are still discounts (smaller) for basically bringing your own phone.

ChrisAwad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just for my reference, how do you get this $25/mo discount applied? I have more everything and a 10GB plan on 5 lines.

0 Likes
NoteLover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thats 25 month discount is if your in the edge program. I have 6 lines & get all discounts plus 20% off my actual data plan. I believe i am paying like 80 bucks for 15gb plan. Normally 100 bucks a month.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The discount AZSALUKI is referring to is for those on a More Everything plan that are out of contract, i.e.,

Re: Out of contract More everything discount?

AZSALUKI
Legend

NoteLover wrote:

Thats 25 month discount is if your in the edge program. I have 6 lines & get all discounts plus 20% off my actual data plan. I believe i am paying like 80 bucks for 15gb plan. Normally 100 bucks a month.

what tikibar1 said. if any of your 5 lines are out of contract, you can get it. basically, instead of taking a new subsidized phone (along with a new 2 year contract), they will discount each line that is currently off contract by $25. you don't have to be on the edge program. i'm not. i simply have 2 lines that are eligible for upgrade that i haven't used yet. if or when i decide to take an upgrade at the subsidized price, the discount is discontinued. it's just like a "bring your own device" type of plan on other carriers. so my point was that anyone planning on subsidizing a nexus could simply buy it from motorola on a payment plan and use the $25 they save here to pay for it to motorola. i know the numbers aren't exactly the same, but i hope everyone gets the point. whether you subsidize a phone through verizon or finance it through a 3rd party, in many cases, it's only a few dollar difference per month and can actually be cheaper to buy it outright and take the $25 discount. the added bonus is that you have an unlocked phone AND are off contract. free to walk whenever you'd like. if verizon does offer the nexus at $200 then you're really paying $800 ($200 up front and losing the $25/month discount for 2 years). I really haven't looked in to the nexus, but i'm guessing it's not $800. buy it for $650 (or whatever it costs) and take the $600 discount over the next 2 years and you're getting it for $50 instead of $200.

0 Likes