Nexus 6P Android Marshmallow Stock Visual Voicemail on VZW
mattmahon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way to enable the stock visual voicemail in Marshmallow on my Nexus 6P?  It seems like the issue is the lack of carrier support.  Is there a way to enable it on Verizon or is there an ETA on when this functionality will be supported on Verizon.  At present, it doesn't seem as if there is a supported visual voicemail solution for the Nexus 6P.  I've been forced to enable the basic standard voicemail.  It's kind of suboptimal on the latest android phone.

Labels (1)
Re: Nexus 6P Android Marshmallow Stock Visual Voicemail on VZW
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe not through Verizon, but YouMail and Google Voicemail both offer apps with similar functionality to Verizon's visual voicemail, better in some functions.  Have you looked into those options?

0 Likes
mattmahon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Suzy, I really don't want to use a third party solution.  I'd rather get the stock VVM working.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not crazy about visual voicemail so much that I have refused to upgrade my voicemail to the basic visual voicemail even if my current devices handle it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cgol
Enthusiast - Level 2

Depending on your preference, you may not need to install any 3rd party apps.  Once you sign-up/configure, you will receive a message (text, email, etc.) alert from your Google voice number each time you receive a vm.  The alert also provides a transcription of the vm.  If you want/need to access the actual vm recording, you can do this by: 1) calling your Google voice number, 2) online via the Google voice page, 3) via the Google voice app (you don't need to install the app unless accessing the vm recording via this method is your preference).

For those interested, below are the step by step instructions from Google:

1. On your computer, open Google Voice.
  2. At the top right, click Settings .
  3. Click Settings, then choose the Phones tab.
  4. Click Add another phone.
  5. Enter the name and number of your phone, and select Mobile as the phone type.
  6. Click Save.
  7. You will be prompted to verify your phone number. Click Connect and Google Voice will call your phone. Verify your phone by entering the code that appears in the “Verify your Phone” pop-up window.
  8. Click Activate Google voicemail on this phone.
  9. Follow the instructions to turn on Google voicemail. These will be different depending on your carrier.
0 Likes
mattmahon
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank, but l dont want to use google voice voicemail.  I want to use the stock Android voicemail in Marshmallow.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The Nexus' stock VVM was built for Google/Google Voice, since it is a Google phone.  Verizon's VVM uses a different server and the stock VVM app is not a Verizon VVM app like what is found on Verizon-branded phones.

mattmahon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5, I think you're misinformed.  The stock Android VVM for Marshmallow is new, using a different protocol and needs to be supported by the carrier to function properly.  Google voice VVM and Marshmallow stock VVM though seemingly the same are in fact different.

0 Likes
cgol
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was of the same opinion until I got the my first vm text transcript this morning.  I forgot to mention a friend of mine has the Nexus 5x and he called Verizon support and got it fixed.  They reset his voicemail and removed "visual voicemail" from his account and he says it now works.  Could be worth a try.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Thank you for reiterating my reply. 

0 Likes