Re: Nexus One Coming to Verizon -- Proof
Mochi

supitsmike wrote:

If you have read the whole conference thing they did, they stated that they will put Apps2SD in the future, but not with the 2.1 Update.

It has nothing to deal with CDMA vs. GSM.

Ahaha, yea well.... I scanned the article. Thanks for being more thorough than I am.

0 Likes
mad0maxx

10:49AM ...Note that doesn't mean Nexus One is heading to Verizon, just that the carrier will one day be a bullet point selection somewhere on the site for some phone. Enjoy your Droid for now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/live-from-googles-android-press-conference/

To me this means that Verizon Wireless is not guarenteed the phone. I was so excited to see Verizon Wireless as a bullet point on the site too but this saddens me to see we might not see the phone. :smileysad:

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The big announcement wasn't the phone.  Yeah a new exciting phone is coming out that is pretty much going to rock T-Mobile which has kind of gotten a little behind in the Android race lately.  The big news is 2.1 is coming, Google now has a Phone store which will feature phones from various manufacturers for work on various networks.  Verizon is to be one of those and the manufacturer list is going to be pretty cool.  There may be some Google subsidized phones coming in the pipeline as well.  I expect the phones in the Google phone store to be more Google working with manufacturers and Vanilla OS's, I wouldn't expect to see Sense in there or Blur or any of those kinds of things any time soon.  Also it might help to standardize some of the OS issues and get things more (not necessarily entirely but more) OS even.  Which will help drive development. 

The big announcement is less about the new Gnarly phone and more about the radical changes in how Google is going to be involved in the progress of the OS.  It could conceivably lead to a Market where you not only download apps but browse for new phones.  I would also not be surprised if in the not so distant future Google either buys a cell phone company or makes changes to Google Voice and then releases a phone capable of running Data only and using Voip over 4G instead of cell phone.  Both are conceivable and at this point not overly likely because it wouldn't be in Google's best interest to compete with their partners but I could see how it would be attractive to some cell providers to be able to offer Data only packages on smart phones probably for $50 instead of $30 but still pretty cool idea.  With Google's purchase of Gizmo5 I would say that is a plausibility for the not so distant future.

0 Likes
BestDeviceFan

I got to try one out. This is the phone that will finally compete with the iPhone. The screen resolution is amazing and the navigation is slick. If Verizon doesn't add this phone soon, I'll switch to TMobile. I'm tired of the sub par phones available.

0 Likes
thatoneperson
"10:50AM We stand corrected. "The Nexus One" is coming to the Verizon this Spring!"
0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Does anyone know what the architecture of the processor is. 1Ghz is impressive but it becomes less so if it is an older architecture.

0 Likes
thatoneperson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(processor) That is the processor, which seems amazing. Also, 512MB of RAM in a cell phone? Outstanding!
0 Likes
mad0maxx

@thatoneperson

Thanks for correcting me... I just skimmed through the page and that portion stood out.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The wikipedia took me to a plant.  LOL.  Anyway I looked it up and it does look pretty cool.  I still didn't find much on the architecture but I imagine it is more advanced that Arm11 and maybe more than Cortex A8 which means much faster than what we have now.  It is sleek too.  Oh well. 

0 Likes
daretoomnia
Contributor - Level 1

Did some investigating....and the car dock (home dock will also be available) for the Nexus One has built-in speaker, and is going through the FCC right now for bluetooth also!!!!  How sweet is that!!!!

Hmmm....now what is Motorola going to do for the Droid to keep everyone from jumping ship to the Nexus One?  Maybe fix the poor camera that can't even take a decent picture worth looking at unless you are outdoors?  Knock...knock Motorola...are you listening? ha ha

I've been loving having the car dock for my Droid....but how sweet is the Nexus One car dock going to be with the built-in speakerphone and Bluetooth!!!!!

0 Likes