No 4G after installing new Galaxy S5 update
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Since installing the new update to my Galaxy S5 (which wasn't a newer version of KitKat), I have only seen 4G service (for a total of about 5 minutes) once in the past 2 days.  Whereas I would normally have it everywhere.  Verizon wants to claim it was a SAMSUNG update, yet their page mentions Caller Name ID and Message+ as some of the things updated (sound like Verizon apps).  But needless to say, I pay for 4G, I expect 4G.  Someone needs to find a fix for this quickly!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No 4G after installing new Galaxy S5 update
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Just to add to this, I contacted Verizon Support last night.  Oddly enough when I called them, all of a sudden my phone switched to 4G.  About 5 minutes after I hung up, went right back to 3G service.  I haven't installed any new apps since the update. I keep minimal apps as it is.  There is nothing other than the update that would've caused this issue. The person sitting next to me at work (who is using my old Galaxy S3) currently has 4G service.

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Why not update again?  Checked my mobile data setting.  It was set to Global (no 4G on that), changed to LTE and STILL no 4G.  Thanks for the update Verizon, really improved my phone like usual!!  Hope you are working on a fix!

0 Likes
bella1861

The same thing happened to me today,  and I am furious! Took the phone to a store,  and I was told it was not Verizon's problem.  It was software,  and there might be a fix at some point in the future.  Are you kidding me? ? I can't even make phone calls in my house now!  Do they really think I'm going to continue to pay for this?  Not acceptable! I'll be switching to another phone with another company if this isn't resolved immediately.  I've been with Verizon for about 15 years now.  Guess it's time to give the competition a try.

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

Supposedly when I was on the phone with support last night he said he was going to note the account.  He stated that way if they get multiple complaints about it then they will react faster.  I'm hoping at this point everyone complains because it is total BS.  And we ALL know, that NO updates get pushed UNTIL Verizon puts their own little twist on it!  Aren't Caller Name ID and Message+ both Verizon apps?

So yeah it's software, no (removed), but whether it's Samsung's or Verizon's, you'd think the last 1 to touch it (Verizon) should be the 1 to fix it!

Message edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Morlock

I have the same issue. I am the phone with Verizon's tech right now and they don't seem to be clued in to this issue.

0 Likes
Bartfilip1993

I'm having the same problem I installed the new update 2 days ago and I have only had 3g I called they made me factory reset my phone change mobile network setting buy a new Sim card and still the same problem I'm getting sick and tired of it also to add on I only had 4g while on the phone with them as soon as I hang up its gone back to 3g

0 Likes
MIA24

I have the Motorola Razr M, and I'm having the same issues, plus some.

I cannot make phone calls, period. I had the same issue when I switched phones and used my iphone while my new Razr M was being shipped. (I put it under my pillow one night, woke up the next morning, it was fried. My own fault, our AC unit wasn't working, so all I had was a fan, which actually wasn't working very well itself.) It goes straight to my voicemail when I try to call out. I was on the phone with tech support for over two hours trying to get this resolved, oh about a month ago (this is when I was using my iphone, mind you), and they said to visit a store with an agent. Ok I did that, and the girl that greets you at the door told me it was because the iphone was calling for a system update. BULL. We never got to speak to an actual agent thanks to her, just wanting us out of her hair. I'm tech savvy, okay? I'm not stupid. This was NOT an update issue and I knew it. When my new phone arrived and I activated it, it immediately called for the KitKat update, and I updated a few days later, at which time I also lost Swype. I love swype. Phone calls I can live without, I'm an introvert, so this part didn't really bug me.

I cannot send a simple text unless I have a 4G signal, which I only get at work. I also cannot access the internet via my mobile data unless I have 4G signal. Ok, I work 4 to 11pm. When I get off, if I break down, I need a 4G signal to text my mom to call me so I can tell her what's going on. One of my best friends texted me two nights ago, and the only way I was able to respond was getting on my iphone and turning on imessage using my apple id to send a text because thank god he's an iphone user. Ok THAT alone makes me want to switch back to ATT. I switched to Verizon about 3 years ago, after 2 years with ATT. I do not want to switch back, but I will if this doesn't change.

I don't care who's to blame. Verizon. Google. Doesn't matter. What matters is this: Verizon claims to be the best, and right now they are about to lose my business. I've spent the last two months trying to figure out what is going on, and I finally googled it tonight, and it brought me here, and I realized, I'm not alone in this. And apparently it's because of an UPDATE? Well, the phone call thing isn't, it was doing that before the update. But the strange thing is, if I switch it back to my iphone, I still can't send texts. My iphone isn't even 4G, to my knowledge. I don't know what IS going on, all I know is I intend to talk to my local Verizon store tomorrow, and if they can't do anything, then I will go next door (literally) to AT&T where I can get an 8GB iPhone 4 for free with a new contract, and I will take money out of my savings to pay for my Verizon ETF unless AT&T will do that for me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh boy, MIA24. You have quite a few things going on with your device. Have we been able to troubleshoot your concerns with you? Did you have a chance to take it to the store for an evaluation?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gasnlarson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel your pain EvlNvrDys, having the same issues after that last update.  also the battery seems to be draining faster.  the worst part is the runaround you get from verizon support.  they ask the same questions assuming everyone is an idiot and try to make you feel like it is something you did.  i've reset my s5 several times now trying to correct this through available settings in the phone, run in safe mode with no 3rd party apps even installed, made sure the preferred network mode was set to LTE/CDMA, the works.  The people at the verizon store were of no help at all.  Kept telling me to call tech support.  from all the posts i've been reading from across the country, this is happening everywhere, not just in isolated geographical areas. 

i know the verizon support kids read all the posts here, so do us all a favor and actually do something to help us all out with this issue and not just give it lip service and as us to solve it for you.  if it seems like i am being hostile, maybe it is because i, l;like everyone else who has posted here, am very frustrated with the lack of service by verizon.  we all pay a great deal of money each month for 4g service and are not getting what we pay for.  Pity we won't be reimbursed or have our bills credited for our troubles.

0 Likes