Re: Not receiving all text messages
Snn5
Legend

If you have never, or at least in the past year not factory reset your phone, it's probably time.  Also, this is the easiest way to rid the phone of tons of texts that could be holding up the send and or receive for all who have this issue.

0 Likes
p3rsian85

I will try the factory reset.  However my situation is different from the problems others have added on here.  I'm not having issues sending at all.  I receive the majority of text messages (at least that I'm aware of... but I miss a small percentage of incoming texts and I have not been able to narrow down a pattern to it.  (Individual vs Group, Verizon vs Non-Verizon, Time of Day, Text vs Picture).  That being said, ALL of my outgoing texts have been going through that I am aware of.

As a matter of fact, in the middle of a group message just this morning i could send to everyone, and see some messages, but others were not making it to me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is right here, front and center p3rsian85! Let's start with how much available device memory do you have on your Rarz HD? Also, can I assume that you are using the stock messaging app? If so then please delete some of the long text threads, reboot, and retest. If this doesn't work then please reply with thr results and the software version installed on your device.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

IowaSPEMan,

Thank you so much for the heads up. I would like to look into a few things for you. Are you using the default text message application that came on the device. Or are you using a 3rd party application from the Google Play Store? How long have you had these issues? Are you connected to wi-fi when trying to send the messages? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
p3rsian85

I am using the default messaging app as you assumed.  I just did a factory reset per what was suggested by others so all of my text threads were deleted at that time.  Right now I'm in a holding pattern to see if it happens again (my issue has always been pretty intermittent).

As far as free memory (i'm assuming you're talking about RAM), i've got 261 MB free right now out of 802MB total at the moment.

0 Likes
rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

GF was sending texts by an older phone model on a separate carrier. Messages were lost all the time on both sides.

Upgraded her phone and older messages she had never seen were suddenly available.

On my side I frequently observed messages stalling and refusing to send. Error messages. Could get data and make a phone call but SMS would not work. The more i used it the worse it got. Since upgrading to a 4G phone that issue seems to have vanished, as absurd as it was.

0 Likes
Colleen12345
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to share that I went ahead and tried the factory reset a week ago and so far so good.  Although a couple of texts over the week were a little slow to go through, they all did within an acceptable amount time, whereas before the reset they did not. I can't say the situation is 100% fixed, but for now I think the situation has been resolved.  Yeah!  For others considering the reset option here are some tips you might find helpful:

1. I  have had my phone for about 1.5 years and have never reset it before.  The whole reset experience took me about 2 hours from start to finish.
  2. Before resetting the phone I transferred all of my important pictures and documents to my computer for safekeeping.
  3. I made a note of all my important apps and their passwords on a separate spreadsheet so I could easily reinstall them later.  Added benefit, now I have a sheet for future reference.
  4. Once ready, I reset the phone.  Took about 10 minutes.  You will need your backup account gmail address so that your phone will automatically reinstall your contacts and calendar settings, etc.  A lifesaving feature.  On my phone this account email can be viewed under the Backup and Restore tab under Settings.  In case I forgot. Smiley Happy
  5. Once I reinstalled all of my favorites apps, setup email, etc. I noticed a new look to most of the apps since now I have the latest version of each.  Some of the apps even had new features I was not aware of.  Very cool.
  6. Could be my imagination, but the touch screen seems to be working better now too.  Seems more sensitive to my touch.  Before when I wanted to pause my music I would have to touch the quick pause button a few times before it worked, or there would be an annoying delay, or I would have to unlock the phone and go into the app to get it to stop.  Now one touch will do it.  Very NICE!
  7. The phone is also quicker now.  Seems like new.  I can see why people do the reset regularly.  I will from now on.

Good luck!

rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a lot of stuff on your phone heavily loading the internal

storage area (which is read and activated every time your phone boots),

and you have a limited amount of RAM or your RAM is being consumed by your

apps, like Facebook, then the phone may become less responsive, really its

no different than having to many windows open on your computer screen or

having less than 10% of your HDD available. Housekeeping is always a good

idea and a reset (system Reload) is the ultimate housekeeping.

That being said, SMS will get flaky again. I notice it flake out when i

start having a chat. The messages will take longer and longer to send, get

stuck. Etc.

I try to avoid using SMS if possible and I think, that's the way Verizon

would prefer it.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Colleen12345 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not sure what you mean by Verizon wanting you to stay away from sms.   If messaging still isn't working you will need to call and get tech support involved.   I send over 3,000 messages a month,  so it's a feature that should be working it's just a matter of finding out why it's not working in this instance

rflulling
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had 4 prepaid phones that make up roughly 2/3 of that population.

Destroyed each through various efforts. The current is their latest the

Transpyre and it is so far the only one to have the least issues being a 4G

LTE model. However, SMS is still not as spiffy as sending a text over

hangouts, or google voice, and when you think about, all three apps take

the same amount of time to open, yet hangout have no issue with pretty much

anything and google voice effortlessly sends SMS. However to be sure that

Verizon SMS, Hangouts and Google Voice are all three effected by signal

strength. If you cannot send message over hangouts, nothing is going to

work. Heck you might not even be able to make a voice call. But what is

frustrating is that it should not be that way. I thought that SMS was a

voice service. Seems its actually more a data service than voice, signal

wise and if your data fails so does SMS, regardless of your data

subscription availability.

Perhaps I am a bit Jaded from my experiences but I am compelled to say that

of all the things that a Verizon operator can help you with. Forcing your

phone to behave is not one of them.

From my perspective the SMS feature is throttled. They don't want you using

the SMS as a chat. Its handled I think more as a Pager service function, as

I am sure largely it still is, a full on throw back from years past. That

said, this part of the network may not be well suited to handling as much

load as other parts, which seems to fit the behavior.

I may well be wrong about everything where my opinion is concerned, but I

swear my experiences are rock solid and I have taken my time to test these

issues, not just based on single occurrences but over time, through system

resets, different locations and several phones. I wish I could say my

experience was different but, i cannot tell you how frustrating it is to be

on a work sight and be unable to get a SMS out to coworker, even though

signal was strong. Thankfull there has been WiFi in most places and I can

completely bypass services that don't work, WiFi based apps.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM, MikeyWade <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes