Re: Official Samsung Pay Thread
tradeintrick
Contributor - Level 3

I don't care much about Samsung Pay, however, I will miss the free wireless charger from Samsung.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah my wife says that the other carriers don't reach inside her office at work and their wifi is terrible.  So things like wifi calling don't help.  TMobile had dead spots in our area in very inconvenient locations for me for the things I was doing when I was on it (Spotify and Maps).  Sprint made me angry in a lot of ways.  I generally liked AT&T when I was with them.  The only reason I left was because at the time I was really only using about 10 minutes a month and less than a gig of data.  I was on wifi at work and recently divorced.  I wasn't getting many phone calls.  I still don't I prefer text exchanges and mostly use Hangouts for that because I didn't want to port my Google Voice number to my phone and it is the one most people have.  Besides I can use the app on my work computer and not have to be looking at my phone when I get a text. 

Anyway, that is what I meant.  If it were entirely up to me I would have probably gone back to AT&T instead of Verizon when we left Sprint.  Yet my wife says CDMA networks work better for her work (though I am not sure she knew which uses CDMA and which is GSM she just said Sprint and Verizon get in to the building and TMobile and AT&T don't).  I am still not sure I use my phone enough to justify how much it costs me.  Also I am finding just as many deadzones personally as I did with Sprint and AT&T.  TMobile I have heard has expanded their network in our area but even their maps show the spots where I had issues.  I think it is because the LTE networks are still not quite as wide spread yet. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That could just be tower placement more than anything, and not the technology.

Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

The free wireless charger is free because it isn't very reliable for charging the Note 5 or S6E+. I can't speak for the S6, but the free charger is the normal wireless one, and not the fast wireless charger.

The normal one seems to only continuously charge if the phone is in daydream mode. The fast wireless charger works flawlessly, and continues to trickle charge when full. The normal wireless charger has had reports (and I can attest to the same) that if it charges completely, it will discharge back to 80%.

Case and point- the normal wireless charger is better used with other phones than the Note 5 and S6E+ that support the fast wireless charger. Otherwise, try using it as a hockey puck.

I'd prefer VZW just gave a credit to its customers for the delay in Samsung Pay. Credit me back the cost of the device payment plan for every month you have delayed your customers the ability to enjoy SamPay. This should include the Open Beta period that we could not participate in.

Although, a couple things that might make sense of all this Samsung Pay anger-  Was Samsung charging carriers for pre-loaded software, and is that the reason why VZW opted not to allow it at launch.

Also, why has their been no VZW Customer Response in this thread- especially since it's the "Official" thread. Don't we deserve an update?

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

It is more about the bands I believe.  The CDMA carriers bought different bands than the GSM carriers.  Of course that is all data.  I imagine the call networks have basically used the same technology and bands as they have for like 10 years.  It may have to do with tower placement but around here they tend to use the same towers for the most part and everyone buys or leases space for their equipment.  I am sure there is some difference I know Verizon has towers in more places (at least 3G). So I am not sure the reason only that she said no to AT&T because she needs to be able to use her phone from her office.  I never had a problem with it but I tend to be closer to the outside walls.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

That is interesting.  I have a non Samsung wireless power bank that works perfectly.  Usually trickle charges last longer.  Fast charges tend to run out faster (at least in older technologies).   Usually Li-Ion it is all controlled by the circuits in the batteries.  I find it odd that it would have issues in the circuitry of the slow charging.  Especially if it is only the wireless charging. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Topography plays a huge role.  distance of tower + topography can be the difference of 5 bars vs. 1 bar with just 1/2 mile.  Sometimes carriers have a prime spot and it will work better there, but get denied for various reasons(sometime anti-competitive movement).

For example new Yankee stadium cause problems for a lot of people who lived in the area.  Part of the deal was for carriers to be able to put addition towers on Yankee stadium to help with coverage as stadiums can and often cause a Faraday cage scenario.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I have a pair and they work fine.  Might be a bad batch or just his one was faulty.

0 Likes
Dridas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know why is has problems, but the problems with the wireless charger Samsung Part Number:EP-PG920IBUGUS, are well reported on the androidcentral forums for the Note5 and S6E+. 

The fast wireless charger comes with a fast adaptive charge wall wort. Since that wall wort adapts from 9v to 5v, I assume it has more to do with the extra voltage, and higher inductance, and the normal wireless charger just doesn't put out enough, therefore the phones drop in and out of charging. Of course that's all speculation, but the problem is real, and I have only been able to correct it by putting my phone in daydream mode.

TMO89
Contributor - Level 1

Agreed 100 %

0 Likes