Oreo Hotspot Issues?
ILoveLamp223

I have a V30 and since the Oreo update my hotspot will not push pass 90kbps.  USB tether is having the same problem.  I've used my hotspot intermittently since October for both my Xbox and Laptop no problem, usually having LTE speeds.  I've used only 2GB of my 15GB so it's not throttled, even so it wouldn't be THAT much. 

Wondering if any other members of the community are having hotspot issues?  Not specifically with a V30 but Oreo in general.  Only forum I came across was for a S8+ having hotspot configuration issues.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Oreo Hotspot Issues?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ILoveLamp223, those are very slow speeds to connect at. We need to get this improved. What zip code are you at? Is anyone else having problems with your data there? Do you have any problems browsing online on your phone?

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ILoveLamp223

My zip code is [removed].  I am the main account holder but the two other people on my account do not use their hotspot function.  My roommate who also has Verizon on a separate account but the same unlimited plan when it was started.  His hotspot is doing the same thing as mine where my downspeed is 0.05mbps or below.  While our up speed remains at 8.99mbps or more.

We have different phones also, both running nougat.  I downgraded my firmware from Oreo back to the stock nougat rom to check if it was a bug related issue and the problem still persisted.  Customer support claims there are no outages in my area.  But how can my phone, and my roommates phone who isn't even on my account be experiencing the same issue?  We live in a flat area with a good hour drive to the mountains so reception isn't a issue.  I can also access my data without my hotspot on perfectly fine.  But when I go to turn it on my data signal goes to nothing and my speed literally stops.  With Oreos/nougats new APN settings you can't do [removed] without a root and adb push settings.

Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate these details, ILoveLamp223. I'm eager to get your hotspot working normally. 

You mentioned that your other people on your account do not use their hotspot. Are they able to test in the same location as you, to see if they get different/ better speeds? 

Another thing that caught my attention was that you changed the software back to Nougat. Do you know if your roommate changed his software as well? 

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
ILoveLamp223

I'm leaving this here for others in the forum to read if they come across the same "issue".  I will also be marking your response as answered, even though it did not answer my question. 

AFTER waiting so long for a response the first time, I called customer support and waited on hold for over thirty minutes.  After being on hold, they told me to do every troubleshooting step that I had told them I did, prior to being put on hold.

I was switched to a tier 2 support tech, who sat on the phone silently with me for twenty minutes while looking at my account to make sure it wasn't my device one last time. 

Here is what Verizon does not tell you about their Data Boost, Hotspot and Unlimited LTE plans.  You have a 22GB soft cap (which we all know), but if you go over your soft cap WITHOUT using your 15gb hotspot of LTE then that hotspot will be throttled during traffic hours regardless of not using your 15gb of additional LTE.  BUT if you are under your 22GB soft cap then your hotspot data will not be throttled UNLESS you go over your 22GB soft cap.  So say you've used 15GB of cellphone data and use 7GB of hotspot data.  You have just reached your 22GB cap instead of believing that they are sperated (like it says in the data hub of the "My Verizon" app).  This then got me asking about the "Data Boost" that I had purchased for my hotspot two months ago for 35$ for an additional 5GB of hotspot speed.  In turn the representatives told me that it was a WASTE OF MONEY because I already had unlimited and it would be throttled during traffic anyways.

So, my question was left unresolved with me being told that since I live next to a congested tower I'll be expericing traffic no matter what even if I've only used 2GB of my 15GB hotspot and 22+GB of my cellphone data.  My advice? Either roll out your rural satellite internet service to more areas, or at least provide your employees with better background noise canceling equiient so you don't have to hear everyone and their mother in the call center.

0 Likes