Pair Nexus 5X running Nougat?
djm2m9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got a Nexus 5X for my wife that is running Nougat (Android 7.0). I downloaded Verizon Messages (Build 6.3.5) to pair that phone with my Verizon phone. The Messages app downloaded and appears to run fine, but it's not giving me an option to pair that phone with any other devices.

There was no prompt to pair on starting the app. I've searched the Settings menu and can't find anything. I can add a phone number in the Profile menu, but it doesn't do anything (and doesn't appear to want to save the new number). I've deleted the app and redownloaded it several times with no change. I've tried adding the Nexus 5X device through the Messages web interface, but don't see anything there.

I've previously had the Messages app on an iPhone and a Samsung tablet that I was able to link without issue.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pair Nexus 5X running Nougat?
rcschnoor
Legend

I have Verizon Messages on my Nexus 5X running Nougat. It works just fine.

What you CANNOT do is to have Verizon Messages on your Nexus 5X with a Verizon SIM card giving it a Verizon phone number and ALSO have it receive text messages sent to another Verizon phone number active on another phone. The app is not designed to work that way. When the Verizon Messages app is installed on a phone, it will only receive text messages sent to the phone number of the device on which it is installed.

Tablets are a bit different as the number associated with a tablet is not able to receive text messages sent to that number. When the Verizon Messages app is installed on a tablet, you have to input the phone number of an active Verizon cellular phone number for another PHONE in order to receive messages sent to THAT phone number. It will only receive texts sent to that number. It will not receive messages sent to the number associated with the tablet.

What you may have to do is to reconnect Verizon Messages to the cellular number of the 5X. Open up the Verizon Messages app, then open settings. At the bottom of the settings menu, just above "advanced" you will either see subscribe or unsubscribe. If it says subscribe, you need to click on that to start the service on your 5X.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You cannot sync the Verizon Messages+ application with two phones. Between a phone and a tablet is fine, but not multiple phones. The application on the Nexus 5x is looking for the phone number of that device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
djm2m9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but that cannot be correct. I had Verizon Messages on an iPhone 5S. I was able to read my Verizon SMS on the iPhone fine and the iPhone had the identical SIM card to what is in the Nexus 5S now. Also, I ran Verizon Messages on a Samsung tablet with a SIM card and its own number.

So, I still have the same question, why can't I get VZ Messages to work on the Nexus? Is it a Nexus, Nougat or Messages issue?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I have Verizon Messages on my Nexus 5X running Nougat. It works just fine.

What you CANNOT do is to have Verizon Messages on your Nexus 5X with a Verizon SIM card giving it a Verizon phone number and ALSO have it receive text messages sent to another Verizon phone number active on another phone. The app is not designed to work that way. When the Verizon Messages app is installed on a phone, it will only receive text messages sent to the phone number of the device on which it is installed.

Tablets are a bit different as the number associated with a tablet is not able to receive text messages sent to that number. When the Verizon Messages app is installed on a tablet, you have to input the phone number of an active Verizon cellular phone number for another PHONE in order to receive messages sent to THAT phone number. It will only receive texts sent to that number. It will not receive messages sent to the number associated with the tablet.

What you may have to do is to reconnect Verizon Messages to the cellular number of the 5X. Open up the Verizon Messages app, then open settings. At the bottom of the settings menu, just above "advanced" you will either see subscribe or unsubscribe. If it says subscribe, you need to click on that to start the service on your 5X.

djm2m9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, rcschnoor. The Nexus is not a Verizon device. It's on a AT&T MVNO network (similar to the iPhone before it). I don't have the Subscribe or Unsubscribe option you mention in my Settings menu. What build of Verizon Messages are you running?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are still not going to get it to work. The Verizon Messages application recognizes the Nexus 5x as a phone and the application will look only at the active SIM card to determine what the phone number is and whether or not it is connected to the Verizon Wireless network with a Verizon Wireless plan. You CANNOT sync another Verizon Wireless phone number to a second phone no matter if that second phone is on Verizon Wireless or not.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

yes, I am aware it is not a Verizon device. I have a Nexus currently active on Verizon. I have Verizon Messages build 6.3.5.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "it's on a AT&T MVNO network"? Do you mean the 5X you are attempting to use Verizon Messages on is not on a Verizon service plan? If so, THAT is why it is not working. For Verizon Messages to work on a cell phone, the phone has to be active on a Verizon service plan. Aside from that, the phone would only be able to send/receive messages to the cellular number currently active on that phone. You would not be able to send/receive messages to a number active on another phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rschnoor-

I also use the Verizon Messaging app on my Android device! I see the responses you have received are certainly correct. You are only able to use the Verizon Messaging app in a smart phone and sync to a tablet. You can not sync this app in two different smart phones as it would need to match one active Verizon mobile number for the app to work.

If you are looking to view messaging history on a different smart phone, you may sign into the Verizon Messaging website at www.vzw.com/vtext where you can view, send and receive messages from that particular number http://vz.to/2cf96E4

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
djm2m9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, Carmen. But what you're saying doesn't explain how I was able to use Verizon Messages on a non-Verizon network iPhone to read and send text messages from my Verizon work phone. The iPhone has the identical SIM card (and phone number) as is in the Nexus 5X now.

Also, thank you for the link to the Verizon Messaging website, but Verizon needs to update the FAQ that you linked to. The first question says, "Vtext.com lets you send text messages to Verizon Wireless devices from your email. However, it's no longer available as a website that you can use to view and send text messages."

Clearly that's not correct as you linked to the website that let's you do that.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If I remember correctly when I set up Verizon Messages on an iPhone, the iPhone does not read the number of the phone on which it is installed. You have to enter in the number for the phone. That is likely why you were able to send/receive messages for another line. For some reason, the app treats an iPhone the same as it does an iPad. Unfortunately, the app does not work in that fashion on an android device. When installed on an android phone, it reads the number which is currently active on the device. When installed on an android tablet, you have to enter in the number you would like to sync.