Pantech Breakout Problems.
bandgirljaws

Hi, so I had a Droid Incredible 3G that I insured in order to keep my  plan (Which is very good and they don't offer it anymore). After the phone had a software issue and began crashing frequently, it was replaced with a Pantech Breakout 4G. This is NOT a suitable replacement, and I haven't found anyone who is able to help me yet. I have had the phone for a month and it has caused me many problems. It restarts itself, it doesn't get service in locations my 3G Incredible did, it has a ton of apps on it that I cannot delete, so with less than half of the apps (all except clock and battery widget are on the SD card) , and only 2 of my 3 email accounts on it (while the incredible had all 3 emails on it), this phone complains that I am out of space and stops receiving my emails. Also, the phone doesn't allow me to save more than 10 emails per person, while my last phone had over 9000 from one person saved. There are massive space shortages on this phone. Also, one of my biggest issues is the loss of my flashlight. The Incredible's flashlight was very powerful, and the Breakout doesn't have a light for flash, which makes decent pictures near impossible as well. The camera also blurs almost every moving picture, while I was able to take beautiful fireworks with the Incredible. I tried asking for a refurbished 3G Incredible for a replacement, but they said they couldn't do that, and I was stuck with the Breakout unless I wanted to upgrade it and lose my plan (which would add too much per month to my plan...) I've been paying a monthly insurance fee on the Incredible, and I feel like I am obligated to get an equal replacement. I don't need a 4G phone. I would be perfectly happy with another Incredible or something of equal abilities.

What should I do about this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pantech Breakout Problems.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bandgirljaws
I'm very sorry you've had so many problems with the Breakout. Let's look into this together! Please try deleting the old pictures to make more room. Does the device start running odd after a application was downloaded? Please try this and retest: http://bit.ly/UJ6GkD I'm sorry would not be able to offer a Incredible as a replacement.

Let us know how the device works in safe mode.

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
bandgirljaws

I only have about ten pictures on the phone. This phone has given me low data since I got it. It has nothing to do with an app. There have been multiple people reporting this problem with the Breakout, that it does not have enough storage space. I had a phone that could hold 8G of information. This phone is listed as having .39G of storage, and most of it is filled with bloatware that cannot be removed.

That also doesn't respond to the fact that there is no flashlight on this phone. I had a flashlight on the cell phone that was insured, and therefore the replacement (if to be an equal replacement) should have a flashlight.

Also, I was paying for an HTC retailed at around $500... It was replaced with a Pantech retailed for $100. That does not seem like a fair replacement.

0 Likes
bandgirljaws

Also, the Total Equipment Coverage states: "Replacement devices may be remanufactured equipment. If the same model is not available, a comparable model will be provided."

The Pantech Breakout is NOT a comparable model to the Droid Incredible. Therefore, a comparable model should be provided.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bandgirljaws,

We definitely want to ensure the Pantech is fully functioning. These devices tend to be like mini computers and hold a lot of information. At times we need to clean up a bit to make sure there's sufficient memory.

If you visit your application list through Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Press the menu key again and choose Sort by Size. This will bring your largest applications to the top of the page. You can clear the cache & data (http://vz.to/1d65PS1) on the larger applications such as Facebook, Google Maps, etc. Keep in mind if it's a game you may lose your high scores. You will have to log back in to Facebook.

I also recommend to clear our any temporary internet files: http://vz.to/180S7dU and even deleting any old text messages you no longer need.

Regarding the flashlight, as you mentioned the Pantech doesn't have the flash option. You mentioned you have an upgrade available, but you don't want to lose your plan/spend more. How much data do you use each month? Do you have access to Wifi?

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bandgirljaws

The problem does not seem to be a problem with the phone itself.. only it's lack of abilities and worth compared to the phone I was paying a monthly insurance on. The phone has approx 220MB of space, compared to approx 8GB on my previous phone. Many apps, especially the ones that download updates for school programs from online databases, do not function properly when switching to the SD card. Also, they still take up space on the phone, even though they have most of the data on the SD card. I have 15 apps that the phone came with that I will never use, and I am not allowed to delete. All of those are taking up the limited space in this phone. Because of that, I cannot download many things that I had on my previous phone. I will never want to play golf, see NFL scores, be interested in race cars, or read books on my phone. 

I have used up to 7GB of data in a month, or as little as 1GB, but normally I range in between. I do not have access to WiFi, do to a lack of availability where I live.

This still doesn't help the lack of a flashlight on my phone either. Reading other people's complaints/opinions with this phone, it is clear that this phone has a lack of space for my necessary functions.

Again I repeat: The Total Equipment Coverage states: "Replacement devices may be remanufactured equipment. If the same model is not available, a comparable model will be provided."

The Pantech Breakout is NOT a comparable model to the Droid Incredible. Therefore, a comparable model should be provided.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@bandgirljaws,

Having a working phone is definitely a must! I can only imagine how frustrating this has been for you.

You mentioned this was a replacement device. Was this replaced by the insurance? When ever, a phone is replaced through the insurance and the same model phone is not available, they give you the options of getting a different model replacement of equal or lesser value. You need to agree to the replacement before it is sent.

Have you contacted the insurance since the phone was replaced and you started having the issues? How long has it been since the phone was replaced? If you would like to contact the insurance you can reach them at 888-881-2622.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes