Peculiar Case of Microphone Physical Location on Note 4 Verizon Edition!
HRA95035

I have a Note 2 Verizon Edition with Seidio SURFACE Case and Holster combo and have  been very happy with the case as it is very stylish and offer great protection and accessibility. This case is compatible with the  Note 2 phones from all the carriers!

I ordered my Note 4 a little while ago and wanted to get the equivalent case and holster combo from Seidio for it. The good news is the SURFACE case and holster is now available for Note 4. The bad news is : It is NOT compatible with Note 4 Verizon Edition!

SEIDIO | SURFACE with Metal Kickstand Case & Holster Combo for Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I contacted Seidio support and was informed that the PHYSICAL LOCATION of the Microphone in Note 4 Verizon Edition is DIFFERENT than Note 4 for AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. Therefore Seidio decided to first support the non-Verizon Note 4 and release another version of the case compatible with Verizon Note 4 sometimes in the future. The support person advised me that I should contact the maker of the device, Samsung for addition information.

I contacted Samsung, discussed the issue and asked for clarification. I was told to contact Verizon as Samsung has nothing to do with this issue.

Dazed and Confused, I contacted Verizon Technical Support, informed them on current Seidio lack of support for Note 4 Verizon Edition. I then asked the representative if she is aware of any physical differences between Note 4 Verizon Edition and Note 4 for other carriers. She was surprised regarding the Seidio case compatibility issue and assured me that Note 4 Verizon Edition is PHYSICALLY IDENTICAL to other Note 4s. Since she did not have access to internet at work  to check the Seidio web site, she stated that she will bring it up to the  attention of her supervisor and ask for investigation.

A few hours later, I called the Verizon Technical support again and this time I asked for clarification on the difference between Verizon Note 4 and other Note 4s when it comes to the PHYSICAL LOCATION of the Microphone. The representative stated it that Verizon has the right to modify the Note 4 to make it compatible/optimized for their Network. When I asked the representative how does the PHYSICAL LOCATION of the Microphone impact their Network's compatibility/optimization, she repeated the earlier statement! Well, I gave up and hang up.

This is the first time I ran into such a physical difference for a modern smart phone depending on the carrier.  I am guessing that there must be some Verizon-specific  design criteria for Note 4  that forced Samsung to modify the physical location of the Microphone as compared to other Note 4s. Last time I checked, Verizon DOES NOT manufacture cell phones.Furthermore, assuming that Samsung is the real manufacturer of the Note 4 for all carriers, their strict lack of comments is intriguing and puzzling at the same time.   Now the question for the community:

Does anybody know what is going on here?

Hamid     

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Peculiar Case of Microphone Physical Location on Note 4 Verizon Edition!
cceller
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is just nuts on Verizon's part.

I got burned on two cases (Spigen and Verus) but Amazon allowed me to return both.

At this point I cannot find a case that will work outside of something that makes me feel like I am carrying a cinder block wrapped with a car tire.

0 Likes