Phishing?
sallmon

For the past week I have been receiving a message on my home screen that is not an email / text that says "Wifi detected. Enter your My Verizon password to continue." Then it has my cell phone number on one line and then the line below asks for my Verizon password.

How do I get rid of it because it keeps reappearing several times a day? I have an Incredible 2.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phishing?
tbo27
Master - Level 2

What does the message look like?  Do you have verizon cloud? If it's the cloud then it wants to back up your media to online servers. But I've never heard of wifi found enter vzw pw. Should ask for the wifi pw

Any new apps loaded? Is it coming from a browser?

0 Likes
HokieStein

I've had the same thing pop up on my phone. I tried a random string of characters for the password, which was rejected. So I tried my actual password and then got an error code. I can find NOTHING on Verizon's web page about it. I can't find any app to manually initiate it. It seems to listen for FIOS wifi and offer to connect when available in order to reduce traffic loading on the cellular network. Would be nice if Verizon could let us know about it and provide some support for when it doesn't work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HokieStein,

Lets make sure you don't have to be bothered by that pop up! Which make/model phone do you have? Have you tried forgetting your Wi-Fi network and adding it back?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JackT7991

I have been having this same issue on my galaxy s5. Can you please explain why?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

See my reply on another thread - Pop up asking for Verizonwireless password

Hope it helps!

0 Likes
David_Palmer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife's Galaxy S5 has just started this today. And I'm afraid it is some sort of phishing thing too. Please, Verizon Support, what is this and how do we stop it??? 2014-11-15 11.07.10.png

0 Likes
RexIC

I get exactly the same message. I entered my password but then got concerned so I changed my Verizon password immediately. Would be good if Verizon Support simply told us whether this is a legit request or a phishing issue.

0 Likes
therabbitssing
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed this popping up today too!

Sony Xperia Z3v

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have your phone set to backup over wifi, and to the Verizon cloud (or if that's the default and you haven't changed it), the you will be asked to sign in to your MyVerizon whenever the phone detects a wifi connection.

Solutions:

• Tell the phone to remember the pass so you won't have to type it in each time
  • Use something other than Verizon cloud for backup (Google)
  • Be aware that this will happen and type the pass in to enable the backup to continue

See my reply on Pop up asking for Verizonwireless password