Possible Phone Scam
Donwars
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received a phone call this morning from (800) 600-6358 the digital voice message indicating to be from Verizon wireless stating that I had $321.00 being credited/ rebated back to me, all I had to do is log into (what sounded like) verizonwireless.com to claim my credit. Although this message sounded very authentic I believe this to be a compete falsehood and a very possible phone scam, has anyone else received such a call from this number.

On a side note:  I also ask Verizon to look into this and confirm it's validity or not and to please inform all Verizon customer of their results.

Labels (1)
Re: Possible Phone Scam
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is a scam. There are many Robocalls going around like this with different amounts that you get back. DO NOT log into the website.

0 Likes
BacchusPlateau
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also received this at 8:30pm last night.  Verizon needs to be more aggressive at prosecuting these guys.   They are stealing minutes from everyone in the form of talk time and need to be held accountable.  I don't have an unlimited talk or text plan and these SPAM calls come out of my pocket!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

BacchusPlateau wrote:

...   They are stealing minutes from everyone in the form of talk time and need to be held accountable.  I don't have an unlimited talk or text plan and these SPAM calls come out of my pocket!

Only if you answer - I typically don't answer calls if I don't recognize the number.  if it's legitimate or important they will leave me a voicemail, which I can retrieve after 9 pm or on a weekend when minutes are "free".

In some cases, it does appear to be Verizon's Customer Service number ... even if you do answer it is likely a one or two minute call - and once you know it is SPAM, you can block it or ignore it.

williamross
Enthusiast - Level 3

Glad you raised this. A friend of mine got a similar call from 800-888-9599 and the caller claimed she got a credit of $495.00 back to her account. All she needed to do was log in to her Verizon Wireless account at www.vzw495.com and type in her username and password. But she knew better and warned all of us about the call.

0 Likes
williamross
Enthusiast - Level 3

By the way, I looked up the phone number and http://www.callercenter.com/800-888-9599.html came up along with several complaints from others who received calls, too. Looks like this scammer has been calling people for a while now.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Suzy has a Good point:  for me I only answer to calls that is listed in my phone book unless I've called a person not listed and there calling back Like a business)  After a certain time at Night unless it's family calls go unanswered..

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I use an app called Call Blocker which automatically blocks Blacklisted numbers or those that I put in the list myself.

B33
Legend

I think I've heard of that one Jake do recall how long the app has been out..

0 Likes
BacchusPlateau
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great suggestion Suzy, however Verizon needs to do better.   That's my point.    Unless your subscribe to a $5 a month addon to your bill the numbers you block will expire in a few months, with no online history of those numbers.   It would be TRIVIAL to create a report on the Verizon backend that can identify the top offenders by grouping blocked numbers by us, the users.    There is no compelling business reason for them to do this.

0 Likes