Received a spam text from my own number
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

Earlier today I received a spam text, but it said it came from my own phone number. 

In the past I have text myself reminders or tests from my own phone number. Today I received a text that someone somehow spoofed my own phone number as the sender as it came through on that thread. 

Their message said some garbage about "all your bills have been paid" blah blah blah and then some obviously garbage spam link. Obviously I deleted the message without clicking on the phony link. 

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Unlike other spam text you can't report and block your own number (at least it's probably not a good idea).

What if anything can be done to prevent spammers from doing this again in the future?

If they are spoofing my own number to send to me they could potentially be using it to send spam to others correct? Anything that can be done to prevent that?

Before anyone takes the easy way of by suggesting having my number changed as a solution I am not interested in changing my number, and don't consider that a viable solution.

As may of us know you'll still get fraud calls and texts regardless of what phone number you use. 

Re: Received a spam text from my own number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Android_Optimizer, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Receiving a Spoof text message from your own phone number can be alarming.  Please follow this link for more details and to review our available preventative options https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218765/

-Sylvia

0 Likes
icecreamlove94
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey you're not alone, I got one today too and it if you look at another thread here called "spam or legit text message" the latest posts all seem to be from people today saying the exact same thing.

seejared
Enthusiast - Level 1

This link doesn't discuss anything specific to someone spoofing your OWN number. Just about neighbor spoofing and how to block spoofing (which doesn't seem relevant to the issue). I care not about blocking my number one way or another - I'm just not wanting to assume any risk with someone going around and impersonating me all day. Can you clarify what specifically Verizon suggests we do?

EMorado89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received the same text message about a hour ago. “Thanks for paying your bill for March” or something like that along with a link. I deleted the text right away. 

Tahoe96
Enthusiast - Level 1

None of these available preventative options help here as they are spoofing my own number to send me this texts. What is Verizon doing about this?

JohnnyRobot

It looks look a new tool in the phisher's arsenal. I got a message from my own number today too. Yikes.

0 Likes
Sachyet
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing for me. Hope we get a legit answer from verizon

accenttek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the exact same message.  FYI, the link goes to a Russian State-Operated Live TV broadcast.

0 Likes
accenttek
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support You should try to read the post before posting "stock" answers that don't apply to the situation.   The link you shared discusses Caller-ID spoofing of voice calls.  The issue posted here is that Verizon Customers are now receiving Spoofed SMS from their OWN phone number.   There is no excuse for this.  Verizon's systems should know that our phone is registered on your network and should not allow SMS to be spoofed with our own phone number from Russian-operated telcos while you actively see our phone is on your network in the middle of the USA.