Recent Droid Razr M Update- Major Issues
aew32
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the recent update, at the beginning of the month, my phone is now having a horrible time sending and receiving text messages. If I have the screen on while a call comes in the phone rings but I cannot answer the call until I have turned off the screen and turned it back on. My screen also constantly flickers now and the battery is being drained when not even in use. Is anyone else having these issues? It is beyond frustrating!!! Does anyone have any fixes? Can I uninstall the update?

Furthermore, this update has been nothing but a downgrade and I'm sure a VZW rep will tell me to factory reset my phone and delete ALL my text messages but I should not have to do all this to "fix" the issues VZW and Android created. Apple maybe behind with technology but at least when their updates create issues they resolve their bugs within a week or two, not months like VZW/Android. They also don't tell their customers to wipe their phones, like I've been told to do ANY time an issue occurs. I have been a Droid user for forever but this may be the last straw!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Recent Droid Razr M Update- Major Issues
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

After an upgrade you will notice shortened battery life, warm to hot to the touch etc... it has been this way since Jelly Bean and from what the Motorola people tell me, it is normal and expected for a variety of reasons.  It also goes away in a week or two depending on how active you are on your device.

1) Post Update everyone is playing with their phone to see what is new and if it works. More time on the phone faster battery drain

2) The system is learning how you use your system so it knows when and what to shut off

3) ALL of the bloatware you may have had disabled prior to the update are re enabled and using resources

4) all of your apps are trying to update as app updates go hand in hand with OS updates

5) Backup Assistant is trying to backup your device regardless of whether you use it or not.

The important ones here are. If you have a lot of music or photos on your phone, the OS update will go through and try to optimize each picture, video, song etc... on your phone to best work with the device  If you have a lot of data on the phone it will take longer to optimize.

I ran into this on both of the Razr HD's that we use as well as my Droid Maxx. All of them went right back up to regular or better battery life within 2 weeks of installing the update.

disable all of the bloatware including Google drive, Verizon Cloud, etc... unless you use them.

View solution in original post

satipler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues, along with texts that won't send for several minutes if at all, the phone gets hot at random times, the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.
I've been told it's impossible to uninstall the update so I'm trying to wait until a patch gets issued. If I keep having problems I'll buy a different phone from eBay until my contract runs out in Feb, then I may be going to IPhone, though iOS 8 has its own issues.

B33
Legend

Sounds like a connection error Try this if you have not shut off the Device pull the Sim Card let the phone set for 10min carefully reinstall the card restart your phone see if that fixes the issue..

0 Likes
BillW
Enthusiast - Level 3

It seems many RAZR M owners are having these problems;  short battery life, device is hot (busy draining battery), random reboots, slow text, WiFi and Verizon connectivity diminished.   Personally each upgrade since I purchased my RAZR M with ICS has degraded its function.   On Motorola forums, I've read that there are no plans to upgrade the RAZR M any further.   Hopefully, Verizon and Motorola will listen to the many frustrated owners and do something to fix the problems.    Otherwise I will be looking for new phone and wireless providers.

0 Likes
frustratedall

Never thought that an "upgrade" would ruin my phone! Just another way for them to make people have to go get new phones. I loved my Razor M until the upgrade, same problems stated by others. Now another up date I hoped would fix the problems, I see it won't. Glad I checked here first, so will keep changing the reminder time 24 hours out, since there is NO way to avoid the forced update. Wish I would have done that for the last update.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

After an upgrade you will notice shortened battery life, warm to hot to the touch etc... it has been this way since Jelly Bean and from what the Motorola people tell me, it is normal and expected for a variety of reasons.  It also goes away in a week or two depending on how active you are on your device.

1) Post Update everyone is playing with their phone to see what is new and if it works. More time on the phone faster battery drain

2) The system is learning how you use your system so it knows when and what to shut off

3) ALL of the bloatware you may have had disabled prior to the update are re enabled and using resources

4) all of your apps are trying to update as app updates go hand in hand with OS updates

5) Backup Assistant is trying to backup your device regardless of whether you use it or not.

The important ones here are. If you have a lot of music or photos on your phone, the OS update will go through and try to optimize each picture, video, song etc... on your phone to best work with the device  If you have a lot of data on the phone it will take longer to optimize.

I ran into this on both of the Razr HD's that we use as well as my Droid Maxx. All of them went right back up to regular or better battery life within 2 weeks of installing the update.

disable all of the bloatware including Google drive, Verizon Cloud, etc... unless you use them.

mbryant858
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues and it's really upsetting

0 Likes
mbryant858
Enthusiast - Level 1

going on for over a month

0 Likes