Re: Recent update bricked my Kyocera Brigadier
gburl2003

My son has the Kyocera Brigadier phone as well.  The Verizon update bricked his phone as well on April 13th, 2016.  It's in a constant boot loop, as mentioned in the original post.  Took it to the local Verizon store.  They could not do anything with it. Can't even use the recovery mode or reset to factory.  It's over 1 yr old and not under the 1 yr warranty with Verizon or Kyocera.  Verizon rep asked if I had insurance on it.  I told them no.  They mentioned that I needed the have purchased the insurance to get it replaced. I didn't think I had to buy insurance to pay for Verizon's mistake.  They told me that I had to buy a new phone, they would not replace the bricked phone, since I didn't purchase their insurance.  They told me at the store that they didn't' know there was an update for this phone, when clearly it's on the Verizon site.

I guess Verizon does this to everyone's phone when it's time for the contract to be up and you don't have insurance. So far, no one has been able to fix it.  They just keep telling me to buy a new phone. 

0 Likes
keencamp

I guess I'll never learn.  Verizon replaced my last brigadier with a new one without the update.  Worked great for 3 months until I got tired of the dam nag telling to update.  I did.  same ole crap.  eats battery and runs hot.

I guess my options are to run thru the hoops again with Verizon or switch carriers.

IF YOU HAVE A BRIGADIER,  DON"T TAKE THE UPDATE. PUT UP WITH THE CONSTANT NAG.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can't thank you enough for all that you've in terms of troubleshooting. I really want to ensure that your device is running in prime condition. May I ask if you've run the repair assistant on the device?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Brierpatch

Recent update also bricked my Brigadier.  Endless loop of "powered by android" to "kyocera".  No Verizon red screen.

I can get into recovery mode, but all options just lead to a frozen android icon on his back with his belly door open.  Even the data wipe/factory reset just leads to that icon and freezes.

Is there somewhere I can download the "Repair Assistant" to try?  

Please DON'T just give me the link to the Verizon repair assistant instructions.  The tool is NOT on my PC and the website instructions seem to think that simply connecting my Brigadier with a USB cable will magically provide the repair assistant tray on my PC.  It does not.

Thanks

0 Likes
leblanca7x

@gburl2003

Same with me, there is basically no support for this phone and Verizon has notoriously crappy customer service anyway. I ended up going to this website https://www.kyoceramobile.com/support/repairs/united-states/faq/ and chatting with a Kyocera rep to open a case and then starting a RMA. This allows you to send it to their repair center so they can assess the problem and give you a quote for the repair. I just sent mine off so I haven't gotten a quote yet but I'm sure it will be less than the cost of a new phone. Under warranty the repair is only about $20 per the website so it couldn't be too much more than that since all they have to do is reload the software. I'll be sure to update this thread when I get the repair cost. You will need to include a copy of the original purchase receipt which you can get from your Verizon account.

@Brierpatch

The repair tool will only install automatically if your phone is working properly(stupid I know) and there is no where to download it on the internet(also stupid). You would think Verizon would include a download link but they don't. Fortunately I installed it on my computer before my phone messed up so I can send you a link if you pm me somehow but don't expect it to help you much as it probably won't recognize your phone since it is in a bootloop and won't start up all the way. The computer doesn't recognize the phone in recovery mode either. I recommend going through the process I described in the previous paragraph as Verizon is useless and will do nothing for you.

Good luck guys.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brierpatch,

We definitely are saddened to see that the software update has caused this much trouble. Let’s work together to make sure your phone goes back to working like a well oiled machine. I appreciate the troubleshooting that you done so far. At this time, you will need to try an alternate factory data reset. Please follow these steps http://vz.to/1Nn8ZHi. They sometimes can be a little tricky. Please let me know the outcome.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kornelius
Enthusiast - Level 3

The device getting stuck at 99% try the following:

• Power cycle by holding the power key until the Restart option is available.
  • Once back on, go back into Settings and System updates to check for system updates again.
  • It will start the download again and once finish it will give option to install.
  • If the install or download fails to complete again, then attempt to uninstall some downloaded apps to clear some memory. You can always re-download them after the update.
  • Attempt the process again if needed after removing a few apps.
0 Likes
ezchoice_lab

I have the same issue, I've tried factory restore/clean suggested by werizon representative but it hasnt solved the problem. Seems like the recovery mode was updated cos its version belongs to lollipop. Not sure why there is no manual update installation option in menu, but ist manufacturer decision. Is there any solution? Because there is no custom recovery images available. What werizon is going to do about it ?

0 Likes
Kornelius
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is a software repair tool available http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/brigadier/

0 Likes
Wildsouka
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had software update issues on my galaxy j7v and when I asked Verizon about the update and how to fix it they passed the blame to samsung first when I talked to them a second time after a rendezvous with samsung they passed the blame on google. Apparently "no one" knows who is making the software update. I smell something fishy... they still push me updates after ending all the processes and clearing catches along with changing my auto update settings...  I'm pretty vexed cause I have to do this daily to keep my phone from updating without my consent and i have had a number of close calls with the auto update push where it covers my entire screen until i decide to agree to the udate... 

0 Likes