S4 reboot, unsuable
Kev-user
Enthusiast - Level 2

Phone rebooting after update. Many times a day.

Labels (1)
Re: S4 reboot, unsuable
C_Badge
Enthusiast - Level 1

This issue seems to be an epidemic among Galaxy S4 owners. Verizon has pushed out a bad update, and it has been causing the random reboots. Here is a list of what people have tried without success:

1. Factory data reset

2. Verizon Repair Assistant desktop program

3. Talking to Verizon via phone, in person, etc.

If you ask me, I'm not staying with Verizon. I pay way too much money for them to give us bad updates and insufficient customer support. I'm switching my whole family to a different carrier.

Kev-user
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is busy rebooting and the reboot is not hardware rebooting because the reboot screen shows Verizon and then goes to lockscreen.

MarlinJac

Looks like many having the same issue. An associat of mine reloaded v 4.4.2 with good results. Guess I'll try it with mine. Rebooting while I'm on the phone is un acceptible. Hopefully v 4.4.4 or v 5.0 will be out before I get the chance.

0 Likes
Kev-user
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your information. Could you shown us how to reload the V4.4.2?

Regards,

0 Likes
MarlinJac

I'm new to this as well but here is a link I found. You'll need a computer and the original Samsung USB power cable.

0 Likes
AndDevOC
Enthusiast - Level 2

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1167101#1167101

The above describes in great detail how to revert back to NG5, the last stable update.

I have yet to succumb to this nuclear option of wiping out the firmware and reverting to the previous. I have instead  followed Samsung Support advice to "wipe cache partition".

http://www.androidpit.com/forum/608584/how-to-clear-the-system-cache-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s4

This did not fully solve the problem. I have since cleared some Apps and moved the remaining onto Phone Memory only. . 28 hours without reboot but this method may be riskier but I didn't want to wipe and rebuild from scratch.

0 support from Verizon

Samsung Support helped but wanted to run in "Safe Mode" which is worthless for daily use.

0 Likes
AndDevOC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Minor point. The new update NG6 is also Android 4.4.2 the same as the last stable build NG5. Most of the changes are in the extra level of security Samsung adds to base Android which they call "Knox 2.0".

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/10/galaxy-s4-on-verizon-gets-update-with-knox-2-0-connectivity-imp...

For a fuller  explanation of Samsung Security modifications:

http://www.all-things-android.com/content/selinux-android-and-samsung-knox

0 Likes
joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

Try early next year.... S5 and Note 4 are in December which means months of waiting for the S4.

I talked to a Samsung rep at Best Buy and they said that the Android 5.0 update will be coming out next year for S4. December is the launch point for the S5 and Note 4.

Remember we, S4 users have to go to 4.4.4. THEN we get upgraded to 5.0. We aren't going to be updated to 5.0 before we all get updated to 4.4.4.

They slow play us to make sure we have to buy a new device in order to get the latest and greatest firmware.

Also, all Google Play Edition devices (S4, HTC M8, Moto G, Nexus Brand) don't work on Verizon's network which Google gives updates to first anyways.

0 Likes
JGG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another fail by VZ.  Went through the same thing with, as I recall, 4.3.  WiFi connectivity issues.  Screen freezes.  Battery drain etc.  Interestingly, the update prior to NG6 was working fine so it is clearly possible for VZ to provide a stable update.  Inadequate or non-existent testing prior to this release.  Quite remarkable for a company with the resources to execute proper testing.  As I said per a prior failed update by VZ, I would be fired if I released such sloppy code.

Further, this update provided ZERO benefit to me and most likely the majority of users.  It simply degraded the performance of my phone and updated un-removable crapware.

Solution = will be getting a Nexus 6 straight from Google and switching to another carrier.  Timely updates straight from Google and no more crapware, faulty updates, etc. from VZ and Samsung.  Will I be sacrificing network performance?  Most likely but am so tired of these issues it will be worth it.

0 Likes