Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active...when?
hman1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This phone was released by AT&T on 6-21-13 so if you do the math it  should be available 10-19-13 on Verizon. The htc one was released  4-19-13 on AT&T and became available on the Verizon network on  8-22-13. 120 days is a long time to wait but if you really think the  active fits your needs like myself, you will wait another month.

spudhalvorson

Mobile phones are a little like automobiles: you might get tired of the one you own, but you'll only truly make your money back over the long haul. It stands to reason that Verizon will get the S4 Active, but not before the next iteration is already on the horizon. True enough, on the whole Verizon is not on the breaking edge of phone releases, but their overall coverage (albeit not 4GLTE) is hard to beat.

Among the most cost-efficient options remains finding a program like Ting and buying an available phone through them. You may be salivating over your next mobile device, you will be okay if you let it go, trust me.

I bought my S3 at full price through Verizon (the amber phone). I listen to FLAC to Samsung had me there, and no phone,not even a 64 GB version (plus card) would make me happy enough there (I need a 2TB MicroSD). I could root my Verizon phone to expel some of the bloatware also, but I have it pretty much under control without doing that. Even the S3  phone works well.

(Rooting discussion removed)

I also may choose to change providers, but not because I must have the latest phone in my pocket upon release date. The things you own can end up owning you.

Comments edited for rooting content as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
amargaritan

I spoke to a rep today who told me that Verizon is getting the Galaxy 4S Active soon.  He said that Verizon's network requires that the phones have more sophisticated and expensive hardware than AT&T and that is why Samsung initially issues to them first.  He also noted that typically, the Verizon versions of the phones that AT&T are able to issue earlier than Verizon tend to have better user reviews than AT&T's versions because the Verizon hardwared phones end up being more robust. 

I've been holding out for an rugged smart phone to replace my Casio Boulder.  I was interested in the Casio G'z one 4G, but the reviews have not been solid enough for me to make that leap.  I'm figuring that the reviews of the Galaxy 4S should be an indication of how the 4S Active will be and although there are phones with better reviews, I think I'm going to hold for Verizon's version of the 4S Active.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

That rep is feeding you a line.

Brandon109

Verizon likes to make phone manufactures display the verizon logo on everything and then they like to get their hands on the U/I and tweak it all around their wonderful bloatware.  They install things like VW backup and try to charge for it even though your gmail account does that for you for free. This takes time.  Also they like to pick up a phone after the original release and bully companies way down in price so they can charge the same as everyone else and benefit from a larger delta. That rep, though he made it sound apealing, was telling you nothing but lies. is there a difference between different data networks? Absolutely.  even if there was a vast difference between hardware in phones.... Don't you think that Samsung would have known this and started custom building the ACTIVE for verizon when they started building it for ATT (or sooner so they could be released at the same time)

0 Likes
CoachRob1010

Again, is the Active coming anytime soon? Contract is close to up. ATT is a consideration if this phone is not available. Not happy with my Casio.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi CoachRob1010,

Don't go! I know new phones are so exciting. We have no information on the Active. You can keep you with the latest device news here http://bit.ly/n5snpq . What's going on with your Casio? What model Casio device? Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us@vzwsupport

0 Likes
aslade
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been waiting too long for the Galaxy S4 Active I dont see what the hold up is! I see you finally are offering the mini but if the Active does not become available soon I will have to switch providers. Which are also offering cheaper plans as well. I have been with Verizon for over 10 years guess its time to switch...

0 Likes
becker69

OK, but do you gave any information on how long AT&T gets to keep exclusive rights to the active?  This is crazy, I've been waiting a long time to finally move to a smartphone. Due to my work, a rugged and water resistant phone is a must. The Active is perfect but I've no desire to move to AT&T.  Why can't these phones be offered across carriers and let the public decide who provides the best service/signal and choose a carrier based on those qualities rather than this situation which is forcing people to maybe change to a company they would rather not go to but is only way to get the needed phone?  Now waiting for S5 , initial rumors were it would come ruggedized as standard since so many people like the Active which was great news but now it appears it will not have the S4 Active ruggedized features. 😞

0 Likes
dj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great questions!

dj

In Velo Veritas

0 Likes