Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Markrm01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just updated my Samsung S5 to Lollipop 5.0 two days ago. Now the heart rate monitor light comes on anytime the screen is on and something is near it or it is sitting face up on the desk. The WiFi also is constantly scanning and changing networks. The phone also went into cool down mode today and the battery is draining from a complete charge in 6 hours with little use. I reached out to Samsung and they were no help. I have read posts online from many users having these same issues. Any other users having the same issues? Any suggestions on a fix? I have restarted several times and cleared all applications cache with no luck. I hate to have to do a factory reset but that is looking like my next step or possibly downgrading (more like an upgrade) back to KitKat 4.4.

Thanks,

Mark

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Before doing the FDR do a system cache clear and give it a few day for the OS to adjust. You may still have some ongoing issues with some apps after doing the above, you must give it time. Also uninstall any apps you can do without, keep it to a bare phone OS as much as possible. You can reinstall apps later as they update them to the 5.0 specs. 

System cache clear direction: 

Power down the phone then

Hold volume up/down and
power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate
to Recovery, use volume up to select

You will a see screen with exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down do this
simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use the volume rocker to navigate
to 'wipe cache' and the power button to select. When your
finished, use volume
rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and the power button for select.

View solution in original post

Layuth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having similar issues after updating to Lollipop. I even did a factory reset after the update.

Wi-Fi connectivity is very spastic.

Cool Down Notification today.

Battery drain while idling is completely sickening. 20% an hour is no exaggeration.

Phone is very sluggish, which is expected.

Hopefully, they will push a hotfix update soon.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Before doing the FDR do a system cache clear and give it a few day for the OS to adjust. You may still have some ongoing issues with some apps after doing the above, you must give it time. Also uninstall any apps you can do without, keep it to a bare phone OS as much as possible. You can reinstall apps later as they update them to the 5.0 specs. 

System cache clear direction: 

Power down the phone then

Hold volume up/down and
power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate
to Recovery, use volume up to select

You will a see screen with exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down do this
simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use the volume rocker to navigate
to 'wipe cache' and the power button to select. When your
finished, use volume
rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and the power button for select.

B33
Legend

Good Suggestion.! 

Layuth
Enthusiast - Level 2

System cache clear directions for Galaxy S5:

Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home keys simultaneously.

Use Volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition.

Use Power button to select.

Select Reboot.

jpecora64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have wiped the system cache and then when that didn't work, performed a complete restore.  I have a feeling that there must be some other "driver" issues with the WiFi, as it is constantly re-connecting.  Causing major battery drain and heat. 

Also, my battery is lasting me about half the time it did before.  I would have rather waited for a stable Lollipop release than have to deal with this...  

Ryan_S_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree I have updated both of my Samsung S5 on my accounts to the new Lollipop and nothing but trouble. My phones are constantly running hot and in cool down mode. You can use it longer then 5 mins with out it going in to cooldown mode. You cant be away from a charger longer then 2 hours in normal usage. And disconnecting from WIFI and Bluetooth is non stop. As well as the phone glinching out in basic programs such as Phone calling and text messaging. Please advise if there is a patch coming out soon? If not can you provide how to boot phone back to Kit Kat?

IHATEVERIZON27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish I never installed this Awful update. Paid games no longer work. Other games freeze randomly now. It resets my home screen, randomly locks itself in the middle of a task w/of touching the per button.  Factory reset doesn't solve the problems either. I did and the update stayed.  My Month old S5 now runs l I me 4yr old Incredible 4G LTE.  I feel hostage to Verizon forcing this update on us.  It doesn't WORK!

>> Profanity removed by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Ryan.S.86

Updates are meant to improve your phone, not cause you headaches. Has there been any liquid or physical damage on the phones? Did this start right after the software update? Have you tried doing a hard reset on one of the phones?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

jpecora64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know that I am having similar issues, with no water damage.  It all started after the 5.0 update.  I have had to turn my WiFi off at this point, since the constant on/off gives me a very unreliable connection.  I have wiped my cache as well as a factory reset, and no improvement.

I would guess a possible bad/incompatible driver for the S5.  Hopefully Verizon has 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 in the works, or maybe a hotfix coming soon.  I'm going to end up eating up a ton of my data plan if I can't use WiFi.