Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
oldsouth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, my phone is back to pre-update speed and responsiveness.  I turned off the pedometer in the health app, turned off the smart network switch, and updated my apps several times a day.  I think the whole thing is an app problem with a secondary cause that the OS just had to acclimate to the phone.  Anyway, my AnTuTu test is back to normal (43840).  When I was having problems, it scored 23000 and most of the time would not complete.  Hang in there folks and give it several days.  Mine took 5 days. 

0 Likes
oldsouth
Enthusiast - Level 2

One other thing I did was to disable Google location reporting in the battery section under google services

0 Likes
tlhchick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done the update on 4 phones Samsung galaxy s5.  All 4 of them will not work unless you are on 4G.  If WIFI is in the works of trying to work it is going to freeze any app I am trying to use!  Samsung and Verizon has suggested getting a replacement refurbished phone.  I will try on 1 of the phones.  I don't see how this is going to fix the problem.  Will not hold my breathe!  We pay way too much money to have to spend hours of our day to be told they don't know what to do to fix the phones!!! 

0 Likes
IHATEVERIZON27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Am I the k ly on here that is not willing to settle for disabling features that preupdate I used?  Disabling apps and other services is not an acceptable solution for me.  It is absolutely nonsense IMO that users are willing to lay down and let Verizon screw things up without having to own up to their responsibility. I refuse to turn off apps I use so my phone is a little better but far from normal. Am I crazy or is this an acceptable fix?  We should not have to get repop phones because they messed up our new ones, add bloat to the new os aND left us hanging I want accountability for this and I will not settle for anything less!

>> Edited by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Redmption

having terrible wireless connectivity after the update... google voice recognition has to be activated multiple times before it connects otherwise it says it cant reach google, pandora takes forever to load between each song now. The OS is crazy slow sometimes or just freezes up.

0 Likes
gkohanbash

I am having the same issue as everyone else. Battery quickly draining, very sluggish system, cooling comes on alot. Very annoying

0 Likes
slingshot80
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same issues with the battery and I was just about ready to downgrade to Kit Kat. Before I did so, I took advice on another forum and installed GSam Battery Monitor. I let it run while I charged my phone. Once the phone was charged, I disconnected it and let GSam go to work. I was able to pinpoint that the VZ Protect application was utilizing 32% of my battery at any given moment. I force stopped it, disabled it and I kept my phone off the charger all last night. I woke up this morning surprised that my phone was still alive and running with 82% battery left. It may be worthwhile to try this out before taking the steps to downgrade.

HelpMeVerizonPlz
Enthusiast - Level 2

ANSWER:

I found the answer to why this is happening. At first I tried deleting all apps I didn't use and playing with several settings, nothing. I then put it in Safe Mode (holding power button on until Samsung logo shows, letting go, then holding volume down button until phone is done booting). Same issue with the wifi going crazy and connecting/disconnecting ...slow phone. 

So I went into Settings -> WIFI -> (ellipsis in top right corner) Advanced

Disable/Uncheck the Smart Network Switch.

My phone quit doing the Wi-Fi switch, overheating, and draining the battery. I think the glitch is related to this smart network switch and it can't determine what the best network is. It makes sense since this would be specific to Verizon and no other carrier seems to have this issue. Also, this switching would put a strain on the atennna, slow the phone down, and overheat it.

It's still a bug that needs to be fixed, but it's doable and at least your phone will be usable. I'm quite liking the new OS now.

0 Likes
John_MN

Yes, the Smart Network Switch has been discussed here already.  It does help quite a bit, but that doesn't seem to be the only problem. Wifi continues to scan for new networks every 5 seconds, even if already connected, it just doesn't switch networks every 5 seconds like it was doing.  So turning off Smart Network Switch will help, but battery life is still a lot worse than before.

0 Likes
HelpMeVerizonPlz
Enthusiast - Level 2

My battery life is better than before the upgrade (was never bad, but

better now) and the constant Wi-Fi switch went away. Might just be a

coincidence and it solved itself, but the issue has gone away right after I

put it into safe mode and turned off the smart network switch and turned it

back on. Maybe going into safemode and doing it triggered something. Who

knows.

Dave

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM, John_MN <forums@verizonwireless.com>