Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
johmichantre
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine battery life has also decreased to about 1/2 of what it was.

0 Likes
jkuchtaofmi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too was all of sudden having a high battery drain and a hot phone.  I downloaded the GSam battery monitor that Slingshot80 suggested.  I found that Facebook messenger was in a hung state.  It was hung even after cleaning the Cache and rebooting my phone.  I had the Gsam battery monitor force the app to close and problem when away. My phone works similar to the KitKat OS now.  You can also find your battery usage under Settings/ Battery.  There is also some good tops for fixing your phone here:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-lollipop-problems/

It seems that the Lollipop update will make a stray application to hang.  May not always be Facebook messenger, it could be anything.  I think the 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 updates to Lollipop will be helpful once Verizon releases them. 

0 Likes
baute1983
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm convinced updates are designed to make us all want new phones.

WareAmI
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link to the Dummmies Guide to Lollipop Problems. The video link there made me confident enough to wipe the cache on my phone.

I urge everyone having troubles to read this and take appropriate actions for their situation.

Good luck.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us, AngelinaOO7. We're here to help out with your update question, and offer a few tips to help with your device experience. As WareAMI mentioned, the phone does require a stabilization period once the update has installed. It can take a few days, but performance should improve once it has stabilized.

A factory reset can help once you have backed up your data to help clear out anything else that may cause an issue, but I recommend this step first: Clear Cache Partition.

This usually clears out most issues after an OS update, without needing the factory reset.

The steps are similar to a factory reset. Please use this link for steps on how to complete this: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-104036/

When you reach Step 4 - Please choose Wipe Cache Partition, not Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Once it completes, please reboot your phone, and see if you notice a difference after a bit.

Keep us posted.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @ VZWSupport

PS. I apologize, but there is no way to rollback to a prior OS version once updated

0 Likes
rosej
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done all this and it has not helped. I feel I should be given a new

phone to replace the damage that has been done.

I have lost business due to this. this has impacted my life in a negative

way.

PLEASE make this right!

Jennifer Rose

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
JimB_MN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to WareAml and BrioHondo.

I got brave after reading the Dummies guide to Lollipop problems.  I installed the update.  As soon as it was complete I updated Google Services and any other apps in need of update on Google Play.  I then powered down and followed the video to clear the system cache.  I must admit it took be a few tries to actually get into the boot loader, but once I did it was easy to clear the cache.  I've been running for about 3 hours now.  My battery is at 82%, was at about 90% when I started the install.  Everything seems to be functioning just fine. 

Was I lucky?  I think so.  I know from experience with Motorola phones that sometimes a new software update combined with your app portfolio will render your device (and any replacement device they send you) useless.  I had that problem with Ice Cream Sandwich and is the exact reason I went to the S5.  Good luck to all of you. 

simsrd

I'm having issues with the following ever since the Android 5.1 upgrade:

1. Decreased battery life -  With no apps running and a solid overnight charge, I'm down to 20% or less by 2PM (unplugged at 7am).
  2. Slower performance - apps load slowly, Chrome hangs on pages, games freeze during gameplay, and the list goes on.
  3. HOLY HOT BATMAN - If I have a game running (say, Clash of Clans), the device gets outrageously hot, to the point that a cool down is needed.  If was shoveling snow (in MI) in -4 degrees yesterday and thought this was gonna set me on fire!!
  4. Chrome tabs on the app switcher SUCK!!  Bring back the option to go between tabs IN CHROME!

I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are just off the top of my head.  Wasn't Lollipop supposed to INCREASE battery effectiveness... not kill it?

Come on Verizon... you better have a patch out SOON, or this lovely POS will find its way through the front window of my nearest Verizon Retail store with the solid lifeproof case giving it more ballast (come on, I still need my phone, and wouldn't just GIVE it back now, would I?!).

I bet they won't even read this!

-RD

0 Likes
actormike
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem is on both Verizon and Sprint phones! There is a fix that Website World posted today!

http://www.websiteworld.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-battery-drain-fix-lollipop-sprint-verizon/

0 Likes
Corky22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update is horrible, just horrible...battery life sucks, lag sucks, phone overheating.  Plus my alarm stopped working.  And to think I almost liked this better than the iphone.