Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
VerizonCustomer1111

I had the same issues as everyone else complaining here but this is easily fixed and no it's not the Facebook or Messenger App... that excuse is just way too convenient.... All the info is already been posted so not going to re-post.

As with everything I am sure this won't work for everyone but my battery life is now better than it was before Lollipop.

1.  Clear cache via boot menu

2.  Turn off "Always allow scanning" from Wifi Advanced menu

3.  Verify "Smart network switch" is not checked (same place as #2)

4.  Wait 1 day.

Android Os and System now only using 5% total vs. 20% before and after 1/2 day still have 2 days of battery showing on the graph.... this is a huge improvement and better than KitKat

And no I didn't uninstall the Facebook App or the Messenger App and I didn't do a Factory Reset

0 Likes
hcfish
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did not have 1 of these problems listed above on Thursday. Updated on Friday & have EVERY ONE of these! Please fix Verizon, and FAST!

0 Likes
KLBirdman

Update: I spent a good chunk of last Sunday doing a factory reset.  Couldn't do a pre-reset backup with Kies as my phone has to be is encrypted for work purposes, so everything with the exception of stuff Google backed up had to be installed manually, then re-configured (Facebook was never installed in the first place).   Very time consuming.  While the phone is a bit snappier now when opening apps, switching between apps, etc., battery life is still pretty dismal, even with Power Saving enabled.  Most evenings this past week I've been down to 30% or less by the end of the day, where I had 40 - 70% previously, depending on usage.  I unplugged my phone this morning around 9:00 and, with the exception of a couple of email checks and a few texts to my daughter, I haven't used it and it's down to 66%.  Definitely not an acceptable situation.

0 Likes
tibbar10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received the Lollipop Update and now I am thinking of getting a new phone.  Since this update my phone has many glitched and problems.  I have wiped the cache partition and have done everything possible to alleviate the problem, the only thing I haven't done is a factory reset.  When this happened to my last Galaxy S series phone a factory update does not back date the OS and is useless to fix the problems of Lollipop.  Following is a list of the problems:

1.  The battery life is horrible.  In the time it took me to locate this forum and type this message (on a keyboard) my battery went from 100% to 83%.  I feel like I'm living on a charger.

2.  The internet has slowed down considerably.

3.  When scrolling using the touch screen, the phone locks and can not move.

4.  Due to phone lag many apps, including phone and messaging, do not respond and take excess of 30 seconds to even open.  Dialing is another problem on its own.

5.  Many apps keeps shutting down and restarting, using up battery life that has already diminished.  I have tried deleting these apps but many are factory installed.  Amazon was the biggest culprit.

6.  The notifications now show up on the lock screen.  I have had to HIDE my phone because I do not want anyone seeing the text message preview on the notification screen, which like I have said is now on the lock screen.  What is the point of locking your screen to keep your private things private just to have this update place them on the lock screen.

7.  The phone heats up incredibly.  Sometimes the screen gets too hot to even touch or place by your ear.

8.  The rearrangement of key locations on the phone panel are not user friendly.  I have small hands and this is quite a large phone.  During one handed operation you now need two hands to hang up a call.

9.  The color scheme went from bad to worse.  The light seafoam green color with yellow writing is very difficult to see in low light, let alone almost impossible to see in daylight.  When I first got my S5 the biggest thing people were complaining about was the color scheme, with this update they took the bad and made it worse.  Thanks for listening Verizon.

10.  Along with the color scheme the keyboard, which is now light grey and yellow, is as well difficult to see.

11.  Adding to the color scheme issue, the bright white background of the system (when you are looking at settings or notification panel) is horrible, please go back to darker colors or give us a choice.

I have been using Samsung phones since I first opened up my Verizon account over 15 years ago.  All of my smart phones have been of the Samsung S series, the Samsung layout is one I prefer.  If these issues are not or can not be fixed I will be forced to trade in the S5 for a different phone make and model and due to contracture I would also be forced to switch from Verizon to a service that will pay my contract fees.  There is no point to me having a cell phone I can not use or one that is persistantly going dead due to battery issues.

Sillyantman

I did a factory reset and selectively updated chose the apps to install.

Just installed the bare minimum. The phone is great now. Battery is even

longer than before now. Must be one of the apps that was killing me.

0 Likes
waynerf4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already said this before but here it is again.

Do a back up and then do a factory reset.  You may have to reinstall a few of your app's but phone will be find then.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
MarandaRN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having problems with this update.  I updated my phone on Saturday morning.  I had a full charge and my phone normally only needs to be charged once a day.  However I was forced to charge about 3-4 times on Saturday and today. Ridiculous that my battery life is drained so quickly. 

I am also having problems with applications freezing or crashing.

I am also having a problem with my notifications.  My text messages are not producing a notification with sound (even though it is set to) and aome notifications for other apps never even appear. I have tried to restart my phone and do a soft reset but no luck.

Overall I am very unhappy with the lollipop update and went from loving my phone to being completely frustrated and unhappy. I don't enjoy the look or feel of the phone and definitely do not appreciate the numerous issues.

VERIZON PLEASE FIX THIS CRAPPY UPDATE!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

your best bet is to back up your personal information and perform a factory data reset

0 Likes
retiredjd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also had the same battery drain, cool down problems after the update to LP 5.0.  I decided to get rid of all the apps I had no use for and cleared the cache. This seems to have resolved the problem(s). Though the battery drain is still a bit higher, it is not as bad as it was after the update. As far as the cool down problem, It has disappeared.

0 Likes
mmontel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately wiping the cache did nothing to help the issue.

0 Likes