Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
mwsilvers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Without getting in to the really serious issues you are having, since they have been discussed here extensively, be aware that the alarm not working when the ringer is on silent is not a Verizon or a Samsung issue, but rather a "feature" (I call it a limitation) of Android 5.0 itself. My understanding is that a future update will address it, but for now the implementation of Google's interruption strategy precludes it. The new notifications displays are also pretty much pure Google from what I understand, not Verizon or Samsung. They will likely not change. I personally like them, but others may have different expectations. The volume settings are also dictated by Android 5, not by Verizon or Samsung. I'm following up on these items with you because there has been a lot of anger and hostility aimed primarily at Verizon for the problems people are having. Many of the less critical "issues" mentioned here are actually Google design decisions like the default settings color schemes and the notifications and interruptions changes, to name a few.     .    

0 Likes
Arkaynjl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue occur where my battery drains exceptionally fast and phone is very sluggish.

I did some testing after a Factory Reset and have determined that, in my case, it is Google Play Services causing the problem. If I am logged into my Google account in Settings...the battery depletes within a few hours. Without the account signed in...the battery lasted the entire night last night with minimal drain.

jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

Factory Data Reset and then dont install the Update to Lollipop....

0 Likes
jdpenley3
Contributor - Level 1

Bottom line is that unless Samsung admits fault, and says that they should just replace the device with something else, the best you can hope for is a factory replacement and then your best bet is to not update to lollipop for several months....

I just replaced my device due to overheating and performance issues....and I was dumb enough to load it back on because its what I had on it before the replacement....here's hoping that the phone goes into a sugar coma and they have to upgrade my device.....cmon! Daddy needs a new Note 4!!!!

PBD
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is exactly why I am searching this forum. Lollipop is a bust when it comes to battery life and contacts crashing every few hours. 

This is not a good move for the droid fans

If anyone knows of a fix before a factory reset... please let us know.

k311yj
Enthusiast - Level 1

The factory reset did not work for me but what DID work was deleting all of

my apps and adding them back one by one to figure out what was causing the

issue. Turns out it was my DuoMobile app which is used for my work email.

Simsta
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why has Verizon been pushing this update for more than a month now knowing damn well its a piece of.....

What is it running in the background they want us all to have?

BossLady70
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am very angry that this software update has turned my phone into a frustrating piece of crap. How many complaints are enough for action too be taken? How long must we all search the internet for solutions? It appears that everyone was content with their device before this catastrophe. As Verizon Wireless customers we are each paying top dollar for service and these devices. Shouldn't someone act as if the happiness of their customers is important?

pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You cured me of the desire to upgrade anything when you blew up the S4 to the point that it was easier to upgrade to an S5. I'm not pushing the button until you quit using your customers as beta testers. I'm thinking the next factory reset would motivate me to switch to one of the discount 4G providers where I'd pay less and never need to worry about another botched VZW update.

0 Likes
tamole
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't believe I fell for this - again. Every OS update to get "amazing new features and performance enhancements" results in a new bug infestation. I'm having the same issues with battery overheating. This one is particularly puzzling because the main drain on the battery is from Verizon Call ID. Puzzling because the caller ID for contacts in my phone has stopped working. All of them come up as "Unknown." Overall performance is slower with apps and web pages (over WiFi and data) loading very slowly. And then there's app freezing. I could go on, but the rest of the people posting here already have. I did the "Wipe cache partition" with no change. It's been suggested that it may take a few days for that to take effect. The other suggested fixes - safe mode, phone wipe - are unacceptable. Why should I have to spend all that time testing apps and reinstalling them one-by-one, or setting up my phone all over again to fix Verizon's mistakes? If it comes to that, I found instructions elsewhere for rolling back to Kit Kat. The next time - and I always say this - I will stall on any OS updates until the inevitable "fix" comes out. Let's hope this one comes sooner than later.

I should add that my contract is up. And I'm cranky.