Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Airstream
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had most of the Lollipop 5.0 update problems on my Galaxy S5 as many others have reported here. I shut off the pedometer and the GPS and for WiFi, I unchecked always allow scanning, notifications and smart network switch. Then I wiped the cache partition and used KIES to verify I had the latest system software. Then I rebooted the phone. None of this seemed to help. The battery continued to overheat and had only about 3 hours of life. Performance was sluggish.

Next I booted into Safe Mode. This did stop the overheating and short battery life problem but of course none of the apps I had installed would work. Next I rebooted into normal mode and uninstalled Facebook as some people had suggested. This did not help. Nor did the battery monitor identify any app that was consuming an abnormal amount of power.

I would check the Google play store daily to maintain all my apps to the latest version. Finally weeks after the Lollipop 5.0 update, the phone has returned to normal. I am assuming some problem app finally got updated. I never had to perform a factory reset.

DPerot
Enthusiast - Level 1

DON'T DO IT, SBHDROID!  that's all I can say. I'm on my second S5 and have the same problems as before with the latest pushed 5.0 update.

0 Likes
sbhnet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Too late DPerot - I did it.  Not sure if I should say this out loud, but so far, I'm not seeing any of the problems I've been having.  Still installing apps (as I remember them - gotta write them down!), so it may be a while before I know how things really are.  Battery issues will be known by the end of the work day for sure.  Fingers crossed!

DPerot wrote:

DON'T DO IT, SBHDROID!  that's all I can say. I'm on my second S5 and have the same problems as before with the latest pushed 5.0 update. sbhdroid

0 Likes
sbhnet
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can now say this much.  I charged the phone overnight.  As of this moment I still have 71% battery left.  No overheating, no slowdowns, and I've been connected to WiFi all day.  I'm kinda liking this patch (OC4).  So far, so good!!

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw this post earlier today, maybe they fixed the issues? It doesn't appear to be 5.1?

http:// www.droid-life.com/2015/03/30/verizon-galaxy-s5-lollipop-update/

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Re: Verizon restarts Android 5.0 Lollipop rollout for Galaxy S5       Sorry to say they are still having some problems, but less than before with the 1st  S5 upgrade..   

They can't seem to get this working as it should be and after all this time has passed.

I'm requesting any and all comments, good or bad after users have done the "new"  2nd download of 5.0 . Who knows...given another year they may ??? get it 99 % corrected.     

x2redneck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had nothing but PROBLEMS since the upgrade!!! Both my phone and my wife's phone run hot, battery dies really fast and my service stinks!!! I realize verizon people sitting behind a computer screen can tell me its a gray area but I know where my phone works and doesn't. This phone went from the best phone I've ever had to a paper weight. I've called several times and they want to argue with me!!!! I'm downloading the new update now and I pray it works!!!

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It better than the first 5.0 upgrade but still having some issues.  Hope all goes well for you.    

DMZMAN
Contributor - Level 1

Agreed!!  Battery life is only slightly better than before, but you're right, there's STILL issues.  I'm still sorry I ever did this Lollipop upgrade.  They need to get this at least 99% fixed once and for all!  I have a buddy who lives up in Vermont with an S5 that I warned to not do the update and stay with Kit Kat.  He's glad he took my advice and STILL gets at least a day and half out of the battery.

My calls to VZW tech Support have turned out be a waste of time as they're all telling me to back the whole thing up and do a factory reset.  Well, I did that and guess what?  SSDD!!

Gemini63
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think Lollipop is finally "settling in" on my phone Smiley Happy I used it quite

extensively this past weekend to take pics and videos at the St. Pete

Firestone Indy race, posting and uploading to FB and Twitter... My battery

lasted all day! (significantly longer and better than my brother's LG 3). I

was down to about 24% by late afternoon and gave it a "power shot" and was

able to use it the remainder of the day/evening.

I just downloaded a SW update (with fear and trepidation), and the phone

seems to be working just fine...

I will say that I did remove FB Messenger from my phone as someone

suggested, and I only use location services when I actually need them, and

"high accuracy" or GPS only when I'm driving. I plan to reinstall messenger

soon.