Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Tidbits
Legend

This is the problem people want everything now. Manufacturers listened and regardless how bad the code was from Google. Verizon doesn't touch code and only tests against their network to ensure their services isn't affected.  Google released a fix called 5.1 for a lot of these issues. Samsung has not given a word for any of their devices to even get 5.1. That includes the S6. Have to wait it out or hope Verizon will bite the bullet for something they didn't do.

This is why I feel carriers and people should change to how Europe does it, but most Americans would rather have the current system because it's easier and lazier.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Oh keep in mind Motorola already went on record 5.0-5.0.2 has problems and all devices that were supposed to get it are not, but asked for more time to push 5.1 instead. So the Droid Turbo will probably run 100x better than the 5.0 updated devices.

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

I didn't ask for squat. Should have just given people the ability to not update, or update at their choice.

<<Profanity removed>>

In the end you follow the money.

So I'm supposed to foot the bill because other people whined and Google/Samsung/Verizon whoever listened?

I don't think so.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

In reply to the post that got deleted.

Verizon only charges for services and the device isn't part of the services. All that money you pay for your phones goes to the manufacturer. Regardless of what you pay and what device you have you pay the same with Verizon for their services. Manufacturers on the other hand only make money when you buy devices from them. This is the reason why Samsung tried their app, music, and video stores was an attempt to get residual income like Google and Apple does.

Also Samsung was the one to make the warranty agreement. All devices from Samsung can't be downgraded and must be upgrade for warranty to be valid. Samsung gives no options even their international versions with no carrier ties will eventually force update.

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

When I can't access my data ( on or off network), or make phone calls because the device they sold me is suddenly a paperweight.

It is their fault. Why pay for services, your not receiving.

Tidbits
Legend

It's not their product. Buy a cake box yourself and then use it with your cable provider. Something to ponder on.

Just look at Europe they do everything we do, but they blame the manufacturer. You can see manufacturers giving better support especially the last few years. Motorola got sold off twice and HTC was in the red and for sale thanks to European sales being terrible and all because of their lackluster support. Now they are considered the best supporters of their products and their European sales have increased.

So you can keep doing what you are doing and hasn't worked in the last 6 years or try something new which has worked overseas. Just go and look at all the firmwares for Samsung devices on SamMobile. Manufacturers love Americans because they can do less because you won't pressure them and often buy the next version of their devices anyway.

0 Likes
kmouse
Enthusiast - Level 2

The nexus and S6 5.1 don't have these issues..

Tidbit probably works for verizon?

Ha ha, my phone froze for about a minute waiting to edit this forum thread!

I can say that turning off WiFi improves the performance on my phone quite a bit and this in turn actually improves battery life, wanna buy more data?

Verizon claim they test all software updates before release, regardless if they tweak it or not, it is ultimately their responsibility as we purchased the phone from them. They even pulled the first 5.0 release and sent out a second which behaved exactly the same!

I can almost guarantee that the S5 will no longer receive version updates, they don't care cause the S6 is out, problem solved until next time!

Verizon, prove me wrong and fix this for all of us!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I don't know why people keep beating on Tidbits, claiming him to be an employee of VZW. Crazy.

You people with phone problems have a legitimate reason to be disappointed, but, you're pushing on the problem in the wrong way. VZW didn't code the update. VZW didn't code the additional apps on top of what Google provided. VZW didn't code modifications to the particular Android revision. The OEM did.

Now some of this is the fault of the consumer. They have expectations that the update should be smooth and without complication, and should never require a Factory Data Reset to be successful. That's not realistic. Android is not iOS, and there's simply too much variation out there for the update programs to account for every variation and complete without issue.

So the public wants / demands these updates, but they aren't in a posiiton to support themselves when issues arise. Let's face it, this is complex stuff.

I'm of the opinion though that VZW should protect their customers, and if an OEM provides an update with severe problems like this, forces the OEM to fix it, or stop permitting their devices on their network. Smiley Happy OK, we may never see something like that, but, the OEM should be jumping through hoops to get your devices working properly again... putting the equipment and software in the hands of corporate stores to reflash devices to a known good point.  And VZW should make it optional (without constant nagging) to avoid an update that isn't manditory, even to revert to a previous version of the OS. If OEMs provide devices for a network, they should provide specialized on-line support for issues like these. And if a phone is rendered highly-degraded, that VZW can and should provide another model of comparable or upgrade value, or release a person from their contract without penalty, depending what the consumer wants to do.

The VZW reps that frequent this peer-to-peer communication platform are generally not going to be in a position to provide you specialized support for your problems.

Tidbits
Legend

The problem with that... People want speedy updates and don't want the carriers involved. Thry all claim they dont hear of any problems when released in other countries, but they dont complain to carriees or message boards.  This is where the catch 22 comes in. They can't make everyone happy. This is why I say we do what Europe does. It works as seen through their updates and how often they get them. Any software and hardware related they blame the manufacturer. Anything service related they blame the carrier.

Samsung pulling product for not being allowed to support their devices has more clout than Verizon pulling products for manufacturers not updating their products. People already believe carriers do everything and modify things on their own. No one is going to believe them anyway and probably switch carriers and buy the newest device from that manufacturer.

Yes I don't work for Verizon. They wouldn't pay me enough. I would have to leave Hawaii to get any job that Verizon has that would pay me 6 figures and even then that's 1/2 of what I get paid right now. I do say the same thing on other forums. So I must work for those companies also? How do I find the time for my wife, kids, and grandkids? When do I ever sleep?

0 Likes
kmouse
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits and followers..

Ever purchased a car? When you have problems, do you expect the dealer to point you to the manufacturer or do you expect the dealer to assist you directly???

If you purchase a phone from Verizon no matter how, the dealer is Verizon and they support the phones they sell to you. You do however, have a choice to Purchase a phone direct and not from a Service Provider, then you can go ahead and root the phone and do what you wish..

Wow, I just waste 2 minutes on clarifying common sense..

Verizon, read these threads and push for a Fix on a product you sold to us!