Samsung Note 3 Data Issue
roswatr

Over the last few months my note 3 has intermittently lost phone signal and/or data signal. The only way to get these to return is to either reset or remove the battery. I had to reset the phone 5 times this morning to get both phone and data. Sometimes when I reset the phone, an unlocked padlock appears on the screen. Is this a software issue, am I hacked or infected with a virus?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Note 3 Data Issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roswatr

I use my phone all the time and would be concerned too if this were to happen to me. How often each day does this occur? Does it happen at the same location each time? Does it happen when you travel from one location to another? What signal does the phone display when this happens?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Did you buy this phone new or used? An unlocked padlock usually means the bootloader is unlocked. Typically, this means the phone has been modified at some point. Either to install a custom recovery, ROM or root.

0 Likes
roswatr

Hi thanks for the response. I got the phone new. I haven't messed with the boot loader. This padlock thing only occurs every third or fourth reboot. It started showing up this fall and coincides with the issues described in my first message and seems to be getting worse all the time. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Are you using KNOX or any encryption?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want this padlock and signal issues to be resolved as soon as possible, Kip. Is there any physical/water damage to the phone? Does it happen at the same location each time? What software Build number is installed on your phone? See Build number as per this link: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-88631/

AntonioCoVZWZW
Follow us on TwitterVZWSupportrt
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
roswatr

no

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM, nicholas_g <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Could be software. It's hard to tell without seeing it and booting into the bootloader recovery.

You can always backup the phone and do a factory restore and see if that fixes it. Is the phone still under the one year warranty? I had a Note 4 once that had a similar issue.

I used Odin to nuke it and reload the files. Obviously that's not supported to do but explaining that's how I fixed my issue.

0 Likes
roswatr

Can you generally walk me through those steps

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

roswatr,

We know how important your phone is to you. And we want to get it back on track. I have the Note 3 and Note 4 so you are in the right hands. To complete a factory reset go to settings, Backup and reset, then select factory data reset. Make sure to back up your information using the Verizon cloud or google back up to save your information. Keep us updated on your progress.
JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes