Re: Samsung Pay on Verizon network
LilBRulesAll
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think everybody in this thread is understanding the difference between Samsung Pay and Google Wallet(Android Pay). Google wallet uses NFC only to make the payments. Samsung Pay uses Magnetic Stripe Mirroring. So anywhere that you can use a debit/credit card (anywhere with a magnetic stripe reader) you can use samsung pay. There is no need for the retailer to do any changes to their hardware or payment acceptance procedures. They will simply see it the exact same way as they see a credit/debit card depending on which card you have selected as your default.

Tidbits
Legend

We know the difference, and have for a long time now.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Also, don't forget, when paying by credit, some retailers ask for ID, so...so much for that saved step in the checkout process.

Tidbits
Legend

I've had a lady question me when I used it. I had to take out my ID and my card I had set up as default. Spent 10 minutes explaining to her. She thought I was hacking the terminal.

Yes I use Samsung Pay beta. Yes I have a Note 5 for 2 of the 4 major carriers. I see this happening more than a handful of times. I just pulled it out to test it here and there. I don't see a large adoption rate even for Samsung Pay.

cav22
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only reason to ask for ID is for the retailers verify ID in place of a signature verification when the card is not signed.  You have bio-metrically verified your ID on the device.  What would they compare the ID to if they asked for it?  The image on your phone screen?  I agree it may be an education issue for some retailers that previously have required ID in the past but they will adapt and learn the more interaction they have with the devices.  The card number that was used for the purchase is not the card number sent to their terminal so showing that wouldn't be helpful unless we are trying to educate them. 

I do not see Samsung Pay as an option to get rid of my wallet.  I see it as an option to be a more convenient method of payment than to try and fish my wallet out of my back pocket when I am sitting on it in a drive through at retailers that claim they support Apple Pay and Android Pay (stickers on the drive thru window) but they don't have their NFC readers enabled.  My phone is already out of my phone clip and in my wireless charging vehicle mount and easily accessible.  This is just an example of where it can be useful and far more useful than NFC (Apple Pay and Android Pay, etc), others are available.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

All of this non-verifiable fingerprint-payment and swiping is reason for concern as it pertains to fraud and the liability of the business that accepts it. 

jboogie987c
Enthusiast - Level 3

You must obviously work for Vzw (Undercover Boss moves) or something because you're defending them to no end!! If you aren't interested in Samsung Pay, please state that and move on. For those that are wanting something that is offered by the other "lesser" carriers, we as consumers should be privileged to that service. Just as Vzw offered us those nifty lil apps (VZ Navigator, Caller Tunes, etc), we have the right and OPTION to disable or use them at our discretion. Don't get the right to choose and having something taken away (not offered) twisted.

Snn5
Legend

I'm all for open and competitive commerce.  Maybe one day I will want to spend my money on a Samsung device solely with the intention of paying for items with my phone.  If that day should come, it'd be great to have that ability to do so.

peekjd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also thinking about leaving  verizon, Android Pay is blocked from loading on my note 3 . My phone is stock lollipop. Why are you blocking?

TheHammerBro
Enthusiast - Level 3

The note 3 won't support MST so you might as well just download android pay

0 Likes