Re: Samsung Pay on Verizon network
Snn5
Legend

Take a look at the last several posts here  Will Verizon support Samsung Pay?

Seems fraud protection might play a role as to why SP MST is not accepted everywhere.  Just because a terminal CAN, doesn't mean the retailer will ALLOW.

0 Likes
TheHammerBro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not really, MST just simulates a card swipe so it's accepted anywhere a credit/debt card is. one could also argue it's more secure than holding the card itself on your body because the card transaction can only be accessed by the terminal after you launch the app and scan your fingerprint.

Snn5
Legend

TheHammerBro wrote:

Not really, MST just simulates a card swipe so it's accepted anywhere a credit/debt card is.

Accepted anywhere a retailer accepts MST.  You do realize that retailers must update their terminal software.  Just like AMEX, DISC, check, MO, etc... isn't accepted everywhere, such is the case with any form of payment to include MST and NFC.  Just like how Android Pay and Apple Pay both use NFC, Google Wallet was accepted where Apple Pay was not and vice versa.  Same can be said for a physical card with magnetic strip and Samsung Pay.

0 Likes
TheHammerBro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Strait from LoopPay's website

"MST technology generates changing magnetic fields over a very short period of time. This is accomplished by putting alternating current through an inductive loop, which can then be received by the magnetic read head of the credit card reader. The signal received from the device emulates the same magnetic field change as a mag stripe card when swiped across the same read head. LoopPay works within a 3-inch distance from the read head. The field dissipates rapidly beyond that point, and only exists during a transmission initiated by the user."

TheHammerBro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look I found more!

"Merchants, historically, have been reluctant to change their POS terminals when new technology is introduced without a real, tangible benefit. Merchants have expressed interest in LoopPay since it leverages standard mag stripe readers on existing POS systems with no change to the merchants hardware and software, or the networks or processors. LoopPay is accepted at 90% of existing merchant locations. And by working with issuers, Magnetic Secure Technology (MST) can transmit dynamic, tokenized data that is as secure as EMV. Over time, with additional factors of authentication provided by the mobile device, LoopPay will provide even greater security than what a chip card alone is capable of."

Snn5
Legend

You really should follow this thread for more pertinent info:  Will Verizon support Samsung Pay?

0 Likes
R_Penney
Enthusiast - Level 2

The fact that google wallet is finally in the works years later is great. This does not address the issue of verizon not supporting Samsung Pay. We don't need you to decide what services we can and can't use. It has nothing to do with you.

R_Penney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had Verizon for quite a while now, but this idea that they should control what services are available to the customer when the phone they sold us had the selling point of this function is ridiculous. The samsung pay function was one of the reasons I went with the S6 edge. i will seriously be looking at another carrier for all the phones on my plan if this is not made available.

Snn5
Legend

Google Wallet has been around since the Galaxy Nexus.  Google Wallet is now a peer to peer transfer service.  Android Pay is the new service.

Snn5
Legend

Verizon never advertised Samsung Pay as compatible.