Samsung Stratosphere Screen Fragile
BSUjam

Hello!

Has anyone had the experience of the Samsung Stratosphere screen cracking VERY easily?  My wife just lost her 3rd stratosphere, and each time she has had a protective case, and each time it was just in her purse.  Last time we paid money for a refurbished one, and we just can't afford to keep paying for a new phone every couple of months.  Has anyone had any luck calling Samsung, or has Verizon been helpful at all?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Stratosphere Screen Fragile
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BSUjam!

It's no fun to have to purchase replacement phones! I understand that completely. I'd like to look into this further with you and your wife, to check out your options. Please send me a PM and include your name and the mobile number. Please also provide a contact number for you, and a good time to call when you have your wife's phone with you. I look forward to assisting you!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BSUjam

How do I send you a PM?

0 Likes
artdawg

It seems we are among many who have experienced screen issues with this phone.  Although I do not believe the cold is the issue.  In my case I believe the phone overheated and finally gave into the stress and formed a spiderweb break in the front glass.  I found the phone to be fairly well made with some programming bugs but overall I was enjoying my first smartphone.  Does anyone know if there are enough folks with the same issue to form a class action suit against Samsung?  If we are all experiencing the same problem, then it seems we have a defect that needs to be addressed?

0 Likes
onceler

I also have a Samsung Stratosphere which I have had for about 8 month. I have a protective case for mine phone. I usually carry my phone in my front pocket of my shirt and one day I take it out and the screen doesn't light up,, The soft keys do but nothing else. This is when I noticed a crack in the screen. Not the glass screen, but the underlying screen. The phone is in a proactive case and wasn't dropped.  After searching around the internet I seen this a very common problem with the phone, So many complaints about it that I think the product is just plain defective. I understand all products will have some complaints and some people will just never be happy, but there are far too many complaints about this.

I understand it is a Samsung product, and they should be the one's rectifying it, but since Verizon continues to sell it. It reflects badly on Verizon as pushing sodded merchandise

I had to go back to my Motorola Q which is about 4 years old and still works fine.

0 Likes
js3000

I have had the same problem.  My Stratosphere cracked after 5 months of using it.  During normal use in my car on my desk etc.  I contacted Verizon and they said that I was out of luck and I could either pay for a new statosphere or purchase a preowned one on the website but I would have to pay the full maket price for either option. I am an attorney who uses this phone as part of my practice and so the options available to me at verizon are pretty small.  I also had such had back experiences with blackberry phones that it makes this samsung stratosphere look like a dream comparison. So I don't want to purchase another blackberry.

I am most disappointed because I have been a customer with verizon for 9 years and in the past I have always received excellant customer service from them, but that has changed.  In the past I have never had to pay mroe than $50 for my certified used replacement.

The reason I switched from ATT to Verizon all those years ago was because I had a phone that kept breaking and everybody new the phone was defective and ATT did nothing and they provided horribel customer service.

As soon as my contract is done or maybe before I will leave Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello community! 

Having any kind of malfunction with your cellphone is never fun. We know how important these devices have become in our life and we want to ensure they work properly and look great!  I tend to think of our cellphones as investments because we want to keep them in the best of conditions.

This type of difficulty walks a very thin line due to outside forces, but I would at least like to provide some feedback and some expectations.

There are qualifying factors that would allow for your phone to be replaced under the manufacture warranty if there is a crack underneath the top layer of screen glass. 

1. There must be no other physical sign of external damage visible with the device.
2. The outer screen must be smooth to the touch, with no external screen compromises.
3. There should not be any indication of bleeding on the screen.
4. There should be no indicators of Liquid or Physical damage on any other parts of the phone.

If there is additional damage found on the equipment, the devices would be subject to a nonrefundable Device Damage fee.

Keep in mind this is provided warranty from the manfacture of the phone and is subject to change in the future. I personally want to add to this subject that we are absolutely here to help as much as possible. 

I trust this was helpful information and I look forward to each of you enjoying the phone as you should.

Thank you
MelissaM_VZW
Please follow up on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
scamper72

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. My third stratosphere screen just cracked 3 days ago. I have only had the phone for 10 months. Assurion dropped me after the first two and verizon is of no help. Once again, the warranty does not cover physical damage, although on this one it does look like it is under the top screen. The first two times the screen completely shattered cutting my hand badly on one of them. I emailed Samsung and asked if there was a recall on these and they said they have never recalled a product and do not plan to. They did agree to fix my phone for $70.36, although they have put that on hold also. I am very frustrated but still have over a year left on my contract with verizon.

0 Likes
jmkilb1

I am experiencing the same issue and I just can't afford to keep shelling out all this money on this phone. So now, basically, I am paying for a plan I am not using. Extremely disappointed and will never return to Verizon.

0 Likes
StewartPL

I am working on the third phone as well.  I had to replace my phone within 2 days after receiving my replacement phone this phone is beginning to be too costly.  I think this is more of a manufacture issue than user.  Can we receive alternative phones at no additional cost?  The Stratosphere need to be taken off the market until they fix the problem.

0 Likes