Screen goes black during phone call and touch screen stops working
Hoggles

Droid Charge.  Verizon knows the exact version number of the software since we've all been locked to the same ancient Android version for a year and a half now.

Sometimes during a phone call, the screen goes black and won't come back on.

Flipping the phone around won't do it (it turns off during a call I am guessing because it thinks it needs to save money, if you don't move the phone too much.  A shake wakes it back up, as if it's guessing you want to use the touch screen or touch pad to enter numbers.)

Pressing the wake up button on the side doesn't do it either.

It stays black during the call, so I cannot hang up.  I have to hold down the wake up button until the phone resets to end the call.

Currently I cannot make a payment by dialing the #PMT.  I have rebooted the phone and it still happens.  I am not running any apps.

Path to reproduce:

1. Go into contacts

2. Select #pmt at the bottom and hit the green dial button.

3. Some number of seconds goes by, from almost instant to a minute, before the phone app starts and a call goes through.  I have complained about this before and gotten no resolution, either.  They claim it isn't a clogged phone network where I am in a queue.

4. Phone app starts and call goes through.  I press the little touch screen button to enable number pad so I can make a payment.

5. Screen goes black (which happens when doing this almost always because it thinks what -- I am holding it to my ear so it can turn off the screen to save energy?  I have an almost full charge BTW.)

6. Nothing I do can wake it up.  Touch screen is disabled, as it is when it's in power down mode when the phone thinks I don't need it.

FIRST OF ALL, why does the phone black the screen during a call?  If it's to save money, clearly it's a sloppy, poorly-designed algorithm to "guess" that I am not trying to use the touch screen.  Hint:  If I pressed show number pad, I AM USING THE TOUCH SCREEN.  Stop guessing!

No, stop guessing.

No, programmer.  Stop guessing.  You're doing a terrible, sloppy job.

"But...but...studies and our empirical testing show..."

Stop it.  Stop guessing.  You do a terrible job.

I can find no setting to "Stop turning off touch screen during a phone call."  Where is this setting?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Screen goes black during phone call and touch screen stops working
Hoggles

By "save money", I mean "save battery charge".

Please let there be a setting to "not turn off screen when number pad is up during a phone call".

Also, add "if in a phone call and phone shakes, turn back on screen.  No, don't check if your local variable shows it is on so you don't wanna toggle it off, so ignore the shake.  Assume user knows what they are doing, and that if they're shaking it violently, it must be off and user is panicking, and therefore that you, the software's programming, are guessing it's already on must be incorrect, so send a command to turn the screen on anyway."

How hard can this be?  Please put this in and roll it out to an update to the ancient Android built-in apps for Verizon Droid Charge.

While you're at it, can you kill off about 50 meg of the bloatware running that refuses to kill off, so when a phone call comes in, my browser isn't killed, forcing it to re-download everything after the call ends?

0 Likes
Re: Screen goes black during phone call and touch screen stops working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hoggles, I can see that you're really having an issue with your Droid Charge. And I wouldn't dream of taking a guess at how you might resolve this. Have you tried to change or disable the Screen Timeout setting? If not, go to Settings> Display settings> Screen timeout. You can change it to several settings from what it is currently. If you haven't already done that, give it a try and then make a test call.

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes