Re: Shady Data Usage Calculations
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Usually, yes. Double check the settings within the application to see if an option for that exists on your device, and make sure it isn't set to use mobile data.

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

I disabled that app and its service. I do this with anything I don't need to use. That's why I was not sure but appreciate you clarifying.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you helping out smith6612. Nicholas_g I understand making sure that you keep track of your data. You can also view what is using data by your data http://vz.to/1zkDcdR utilization tool. This will help you and see waht is using your data.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

I started to use this, its pretty impressive in how it tracks things:

My Data Manager - Data Usage - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
Saildancer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Prior to August of 2014 I never used over 3 GB in a month.  All of a sudden, with the same phone and same jetpack my usage jumped to over 4, the next month over 6 and now it is approaching 12 GB per month.  I bought a new jetpack thinking that had something to do with it.  My usage kept increasing.  I have spent at least 16 hours (no joking) talking to technicians, etc  At the same time my signal strength at home dropped from 3-4 to 1-2.  Calls were dropped.  The wifi dropped its signal (must use the tower for my wifi) repeatedly.  Multiple calls got no help.  No one can explain why all of a sudden my signal strength dropped.  I live in the country, so no new buildings, no new construction, just all of a sudden a drop in service.  Now all of a sudden I have notifications that my Cloud usage is almost 5 GB and for no reason I know of.  I called service and they couldn't even tell me how much cloud usage I have, much less why it is showing up this month for the first time in ten years of Verizon usage.

Verizon has a monopoly and are misusing it.  Their service stinks and quite frankly I don't think they care.  I started with a bill of about $80 three years ago when i got my new Galaxy 5 (a phone I really love). At that time I had 3-4 bars at home, excellent wifi, max of 2-3 GB per month usage and no cloud charges.  I have not changed my usage in any way.  I don't send tons of photos, never download anything, and am on the internet a very limited time even to check email.  Now I am paying almost $200 a month for bad signal strength, dropped calls, intermittent wifi, exorbitant data usage and now cloud storage charges.  Verizon tells me everything is fine and i must be downloading a bunch of stuff or something, but they can't tell me what or when.  Pitiful and extremely poor service.  I don't know how they are registering the data usage, but it is totally wrong and I feel rigged to gouge customers.

I am going to pay off my contract and use either Boost or Walmart.  My friends who use those services are not having these problems. 

Saildancer

mama23dogs
Legend

And what devices are connecting and using your data Through the jet pack?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unexpected changes in usage and cost can definitely be concerning Saildancer. This is not the kind of experience we want you to have and would love the chance to turn it around. The Cloud storage is what allows you to back up the media on your phone to ensure it is not lost. Have you recently backed up your photos, videos, contacts etc.? What all do you use the Internet for on your phone and jetpack? Check out these tools for monitoring your data usage to get more information http://vz.to/1WEOyoQ
RashadM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DolceDolce
Enthusiast - Level 2

To the smart aleck who wrote this to me:

"You THINK you've changed nothing. Look at the phone it will tell you which app used the data that will solve your problem. Verizon is not adding data. PERIOD' If you really think that report them.  The the FCC and the local authorities for theft of services. let us know how that works out for you."

Here's my update: worked out for me fine.  Per Headline News:  The FTC is currently investigating Verizon over claims of data fraud.  So yes, they were reported not just by me, but by several others, and an investigation has been started.

0 Likes
Ljoellem

My data usage has doubled in the last 3 months and i'm not using anything differently. In all previous months i had data that rolled over each month and then all the sudden i'm using way more than my 5GB. I asked the rep i was chatting with if he didn't see anything wrong with that when i told him i didn't download any new apps or use my phone any differently than i always have. The only change i can see is that my phone is constantly having poor wifi connections at home, at work, and at my boyfriend's even when the signal strength shows as strong. The rep just kept pushing me to move to unlimited data. It was a very frustrating conversation. 

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes