Sick of Verizon
Knight1Creeper
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had Verizon wireless for 6+ years. Over the past 2 years I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S3, which started out OK, but crap update after crap update from Verizon has finally given me my fill.

I tried to installed Cyanogenmod only to find that Verizon strikes again. Thanks to KNOX my phone bricked. No problem to unbrick it, but Cyanogenmod is a no go. After spending 30 minutes this morning beating my head off the keyboard looking for spam settings, I'm finally at the end of my rope with this Verizon variant of the S3.

Messaging -> Settings -> Spam Settings MISSING

As my 2 year contract approaches renewal in 7 weeks, I thought for sure I was going to renew both my phone and my wifes phone by picking up the new HTC M8. Trying not to make the same mistake again by locking myself into a phone that the geniuses at Verizon have already FUBAR'd, I see that Verizon has done it again. Attempting to lock out users from modifying their operating system seems to be the Verizon Wireless motto. Sure their may be a work around, but I'm just sick of dealing with companies who spend time and resources on locking me in, whether it be a contract or an OS.

I personally want to thank all the folks out their who continue to hack through stupidity like this, and to Verizon, you better start paying attention to the market and stop trying to lock your garbage software onto your phones. This is only the start of people who will jump ship.

Anyone who even thinks they might want to run a clean operating system on their phone without all the horrible updates, or Verizon bloatware, you might want to consider a carrier who doesn't try and lock you and your device in.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sick of Verizon
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You intentionally voided your warranty by modifying the phone because of an OS written by Samsung including the KNOX software by Samsung and you are blaming Verizon? Verizon has NOTHING to do with the software updates except to verify they work on the the network in a factory fresh state without compromising the connection to the cellular network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Knight1Creeper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please explain to the rest of the community then Ann, why is Verizon the only carrier who provided the 4.3 update to ICH-535 (Verizon branded S3's) and their end users with KNOX, while every other carrier did not? Are you saying Samsung forced Verizon's hand?

I'm interested in picking up two HTC M8's, but unlike almost every other carrier, you have to perform a work-around to unlock a Verizon variant. Are we now saying HTC is forcing Verizon's hand? While KNOX may have been provided by Samsung, there's seems to be a clear choice for carriers whether they want this type of package pushed. HTC uses completely differently security, hence the different work-around, but only on Verizon.

Don't be such a drone and rattle off the typical "voided warranty" speech. My phone is two years old and EOL as far as the carrier is concerned. Why shouldn't I be able to install anything I want on the phone I paid for? Enjoy your job at Verizon.

Catbird9
Contributor - Level 2

You are free to install anything you want on your phone, but Verizon is not obligated to guarantee that it will work on their network. Smiley Sad

I understand what you're saying, but "locking you in" is the name of the game in smartphones. The smartphone/tablet is first and foremost a tracking device to track your behavior and preferences as a consumer, as well as a delivery device to serve you advertising and sell you products. This is the trend, and I only see it increasing. If you want to talk, text and access the Internet using that device, this is the price you pay to play.

There are still carriers you can use besides Verizon. However, Verizon, by all accounts, has the fastest/best delivery technology over the widest area in the U.S., which is why they are #1 and charging more for it. Consumers have a certain power in this game, and sometimes the most intelligent move is not to play.

Those of you who have skills that allow you to modify the device's OS must deal with the consequences of playing outside the rules of the game. Sometimes this will benefit you, sometimes not.

Knight1Creeper
Enthusiast - Level 2

People, please read and then re-read if you're still confused. I CAN NOT install anything I want on my phone. Verizon pushed the 4.3 update with the KNOX security feature that locks the boot loader. Sure, go ahead and install anything you want, and you just bricked your phone.

The prices between AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint are fairly close. With that said, what does the cost of Verizon's service, or the speed of the network, have to do with locking boot loaders so end users can't get rid of the default ROM? It's a rhetorical question.

Why do people continue to go back to the support and warranty issue? The droid I had before the S3 had a nasty habit of sending text messages to people not in the recipient list. Verizon's answer, it's a bug in the OS and they won't replace or support it, but "at some point in the near future a fix should be released." Does this sound like real support anyway? How about the S3 getting an update a year or so ago that killed the reception. Even the patch that was supposed to fix the fix never restored the signal properly. One day you can make a call in the house, the next day and since then, you can barely get every 5th word in the house.

Say what you will about Verizon's network, but today we dropped Verizon and went with T-Mobile. Just about all of the new T-Mobile phones have built-in wi-fi calling. No Samsung 3g booster. No locked boot loader. T-Mobile will even unlock your phone for you if you leave, so not every company is pulling this crap.

It doesn't really matter how big Verizon's network is. If it's a (removed) to navigate the relationship, and T-Mobile provides equally good coverage in my area, sounds like the problem is solved.

Messaged edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The other carrier branded S3 phones have received the 4.3 update same as the Verizon model.

I don't work for VZW. Never have.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Knight1Creeper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again, read, re-read, and then read again. The other carriers didn't lock their boot loader with KNOX. Could have fooled me. About as knowledgeable as their customer service.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Her statement is true...  All Samsung devices as of 4.3 and higher has Knox installed.

Regardless any type of modding there is ALWAYS a chance of you messing up your phone.  As on XDA there are multiple people who've done it and didn't have a problem with Knox.

manufacturers set the warranty terms, and the carrier follows them as they are the middle man.  Instead of waiting 1-2 weeks for a replacement for example.  Would you rather walk to the carrier or deal with an overseas manufacturer? 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AT&T doesn't unlock their bootloaders either. They have stated the bootloaders are locked for security reasons similar to the reasons Verizon Wireless gave. If you need an unlocked bootloader purchase a developer device or a fully unlocked device compatible with a carrier that supports the frequencies used by that device.

0 Likes
duff_735
Enthusiast - Level 3

you (removed) your phone and blame Verizon. Classic.

Message edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes