Software Update for HTC Eris Droid?
garrett

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard when the Eris will update the Android software from 1.5 to 1.6 or 2.0?  I would love to have the google navigation on this phone!  This is the only thing this phone is missing....other than that it has be a great phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Software Update for HTC Eris Droid?
jeffgman

garrett wrote:

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard when the Eris will update the Android software from 1.5 to 1.6 or 2.0?  I would love to have the google navigation on this phone!  This is the only thing this phone is missing....other than that it has be a great phone.

A date for that update has not been announced.  I just read today on engadget.com, phandroid.com, and boygeniusreport.com that an HTC Hero was spotted running version 2.1 with the Sense UI.  So, it looks like HTC will be skipping the 2.0 update and going with the 2.1 update (which fixes issues in the original 2.0 version).  I have not read anything that actually talks about a possible date for that upgrade though.  I am hoping it will be soon though.

Jeff

0 Likes
mp81103

I called HTC yesterday and they stated that they are almost done with 2.1 android update for the Eris and that its just needs approved and sent out.  It is confirmed by HTC that it will be version 2.1.  Will be out within the next 6 months.

0 Likes
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

mp81103 wrote:

I called HTC yesterday and they stated that they are almost done with 2.1 android update for the Eris and that its just needs approved and sent out.  It is confirmed by HTC that it will be version 2.1.  Will be out within the next 6 months.

So HTC just released the update? Verizon hasn't even started their QA?

0 Likes
polizi212

This is the reply I got from VZW 2 days ago, take it for what its worth.

"Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. As a reflection of my commitment to provide the best customer service possible, I attempted to call you. Unfortunately, I was only able to leave a voicemail. I am sorry for the inconvenience of not being able to update your device to the 2.1 software. Currently Verizon Wireless is in the process of testing the software and we do not have a release date for the software. When it is released, you will get a message to the device with the option of updating the software over the air. If you have any further questions, please call 800-922-0204. Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless, we appreciate your business. Cindy"

0 Likes
hornetjockey

I just emailed VZW and suggest that everyone interested in this update do the same. I don't believe that anyone of any importance is actually reading these forums, otherwise we should have had some sort of official response posted here by now.

I not only suggest emailing them, but once you receive your canned response that the software is currently being tested (for the last five months), that you request your email be forwarded to customer relations.

If you do not hear back from customer relations within a couple days, I would suggest calling them.

There is an article on The Consumerist that has their contact information. It can be found here:

http://consumerist.com/2008/04/reach-verizon-wireless-executive-customer-service-1.html

I do not recommend calling them until you have completed the first two steps, and I haven't tried it yet myself as I'm still on step 1.

0 Likes
JBLiskh

I just got this message from Verizon. Why won't they give us a straight answer?

Dear XXXXX,

I attempted to call you and left a message. I understand your concerns regarding the 2.1 update. My name is Joseph, and I am happy to be at your service.

Currently there are no plans to release 2.1 for the HTC Droid Eris. The 2.1 update you may have heard of is only available for the Motorola Droid. It is possible this may occur for the Eris in the future, but we cannot provide any timeframes or guarantees.

Joseph, I understand your concerns regarding the 2.1 update.

Sincerely,

{edited for privacy}

Customer Service

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guys, as sad as it is to say, I don't see a point in contacting these people about this update anymore! They simply are either misinformed or are purely guessing!

To ask anyone at HTC or VZW is an exercise in futility!

Most of the time you ask VZW they say HTC has not passed it to VZW yet and then you ask HTC and they say it was sent to VZW back in January...

The long and short of it is that none of them actually know!

0 Likes
nonie3234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish that they would allow all Eris owners to upgrade to the Incredible, even those of us outside of the New Every Two window. I'm more than a little frustrated that we were sold a phone a few months ago with the promise of a firmware upgrade.

I was under the impression that the Sense UI was the problem, that's why the Motorola handset with it's stock Android interface came with 2.0 from the get go. But now, here comes the Incredible - WITH the Sense UI at 2.1.

And - there are rumors that the Eris is discontinued!!??!! (do a Google search with "Eris" and "End of Life")

Between Verizon and HTC, they ought to make it right and allow us to upgrade.

0 Likes
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon doesn't owe their Eris customers anything. You purchased the phone and signed an agreement for that phone for 1-2yrs.

Just because we don't have the update doesn't mean they owe us a free pass to upgrade whenever we want.

0 Likes