Speech to Text issue. voice texting.
Enigmato
Enthusiast - Level 2

I deactivated my voice texting after I first got my phone because I kept accidentally activating it while typing. Now I need it again and I can't remember how I deactivated it. When I tap & hold the button on the lower left of my keyboard, all the options like handwritten text, emoticons, floating/standard keyboard toggle, etc come up but the microphone is no longer there. I've tried everything (I think) in my settings menu and I just cannot figure it out... any braniacs out there know what's going on here? Thank you in advance for your time.

Oh and I use a Samsung galaxy s4. I also have an app called Clean that, among other things, allows you to disable stock apps to save memory. I checked my disabled list but none of the apps seem to be related at all to texting, keyboard, voice, microphone, or anything related to my problem. And besides, while I may not remember exactly how I deactivated voice texting, I am 99% sure I did not do it by this method. But if anyone knows a specific app that is needed for voice texting then I can check the list again.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about Text-to-Speech, I'm talking about speech to text where you tap the microphone, then speak and whatever you say appears in text form on whatever text field you are typing onto.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Speech to Text issue. voice texting.
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

You turned off the google voice typing.  Just go to your Phone's Main Settings>Language and Input>Select Google Voice typing under Keyboard and input methods.  Voila!

Enigmato
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish I could put up screenshots. First off I want to say thank you for trying to help me! 🙂 But that was actually the first area i tried everything on in my settings menu 😞 When I go to that menu, Google voice does not show up. It says Default- Samsung keyboard.  And when I click on input method or whatever, Samsung keyboard is the only option. Maybe I can go and re-download the Google voice thingy if I somehow Uninstalled it so thanks for at least giving me another idea of something to try!

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

That feature is controlled by google voice. I know you said you already reviewed the apps you turned off, Have you tried turning them back on and see.  Is your device Rooted? 

Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

I had this happen to me once from an update, and I would have thought that maybe an update caused this, but you said that YOU turned it off. So I'm stumped as to how else you could do this except thru settings or the Application Manager.

Or maybe an update did cause this. But since you dont know when it happened, tracing which app caused the problem might be hard, unless someone else just went thru this. 

Depends on how important it is to you, and when was the last time you did a wipe,  but the next best thing is a factory reset and reinstall your apps and data.  If you just rebuilt your phone I understand your reluctance and desire to find another solution.  If its been more than 3 months...go ahead and wipe the phone.  Remove tons of junk in the process.

Enigmato
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is not rooted. Thank you for your reply! :]

0 Likes
Enigmato
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I'm thinking about turning some back on even though I'm pretty sure none are related maybe they are. I just realized all the replies are you lol. Thank you for being so far the only person to reply 🙂 I had to take care of some things so I haven't tried anything since my first reply to you. But I will now and if I find out anything or if I fix it I will definitely report back here!

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah..I have the S4 too. I recently had to root it to avoid the Kit Kat update, but I regularly do a factory reset on my phone to remove spy ware. This is probably the easiest and best option now to fix any other problems too.   Back up your call logs, text msgs, music downloads, pics and app data, and wipe it clean.  Backup and auto restore with your Google account. Don't forget to move your app data files from the phone to the Ext Sd card before the swipe and then move them back after the reset. That way all your notes and settings aren't list.  I dump them all manually in a folder called 'Move Back To Phone', and then let Google reinstall all you apps auto for you.  Remove the SIM card for 5 minutes to reset your network and you'll be good to go.

LegendOfAd4m
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can definitively answer this question after months of having this problem, even having read this thread. Turn on google + typing through settings> language and typing as described by Patience Gone in this thread. THEN go to Settings> Applications> Device Manager> and scroll over at the top to Turned Off. Here's where it gets very particular. Turn on Google Search. This fixed the problem for me. I first turned on Cloud, then Google Plus, restarted Message+ after each turn-on to no avail. Only when I turned on GOOGLE SEARCH APP and RESTARTED MESSAGE+ did my microphone choice come back on the keyboard.

NOTE: you will need to go to your keyboard in a text message and hold the key to the left of the comma, to the left of the space bar and reselect the microphone icon.

I hope you experienced the same relief I did. God Bless!

Adam