Switching from Android to iPhone
apeters13

I'm not entirely sure I put this in the right place, but I'm hoping that someone can help me. I currently have a Droid X. It's a lovely phone, but it's beginning to die on me. It's things I can pay to be fixed but at this point I would rather have a new phone. So last week I bought an iPhone from a friend of mine who was no longer using it. The phone should be here by Friday but I'm worrying I can't switch the phones without changing my plan. I do believe that I have an Unlimited Data plan, but I'd just like to make sure.

I don't want to switch phones and then end up getting a ridiculous bill because I never inquired about my concerns. So all I'm wondering is can I switch my number to the iPhone without changing my plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switching from Android to iPhone
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

All you have to do is activate the phone once you get it. Try to avoid calling Verizon if at all possible as they will automatically change the plan and when you complain tell you it is too late. If you activate the phone on your own (it is very simple) thee is NO Contract extension, no plan change and you keep what you have.

0 Likes
apeters13

Thank you!

I was going to avoid calling Verizon, or at least try. I'm not very sure about how to activate the phone though. Is there somewhere I can look for a step-by-step process, or what exactly should I do?

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When you get teh phone dial *228. It will start the activation process and may ask you a few ?? about yourself to activate it. Once that is done you are active.

0 Likes
apeters13

Thanks! Very helpful and hopefully now I'll be able to activate it without calling Verizon and dealing with them. Thank you again!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which model of iPhone are you getting?  If it is the 4 or 4S, the the *228 will work for activation.  If it's the 5, then you'll need a SIM card (free at a Verizon store) to activate.

0 Likes
apeters13

It's the iPhone 4. So dialing *228 will work? I'm not the account holder, and I would rather just switch it myself as opposed to asking my mother for help since she'll be fairly busy on Friday when the phone is supposed to arrive. If I'm not the account holder will I still be able to activate it?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may need the billing or account passcode, a 4 digit number set up by the account owner.  If your Mom gives you that number, the *228 activation, following the prompts, should work.  You can also call customer service from a landline or other phone (and be sure your Droid is OFF when trying to activate the new phone).

If your Mom doesn't remember the passcode, you can see if it's the last 4 of the account owner's (Mom's) SSN.  With that # the activation should work too.  Good luck to you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear apeters13,

Good morning. Congrats on the purchase of your new iPhone. Knowing our options before activating a new phone is important. I'll be happy to provide clarification.

I understand you have some concerns with loosing your unlimited data plan. Since you did not use your upgrade and purchased the phone through a friend, you will not lose your unlimited data plan and you may keep your current calling plan. When the phone arrives, you have a couple of options on activating the device.  You may activate your phone online by signing into your account My Verizon account online http://bit.ly/xB4iTc  You may also contact our Customer Service Department at 1800-922-0204. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. Have a great day!

MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
erin_cc

Im so glad I came across this question!! I was wondering the same Q, switching from droid X to iphone without changing my plan so I'm happy that from the answers it looks like I can. Also when you go switch the number it gives you a step by step on your verizon account on how to do it because you need the iphones imei number but it seems easy Smiley Happy

0 Likes