Sync Issues with Messages + App
jameskuzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I love the Messages + app for my desktop (Mac) and it works well *most* of the time, but lately, I find that I am not receiving all incoming messages on the desktop.

The incoming messages appear on my phone (HTC One M8) and all of my replies appear on the desktop app, but an increasing number of incoming messages don't make it to the desktop app at all.

This results in partial conversations on the desktop and missed messages if I don't also have my phone nearby to check for proper sync.

I have tried all of the suggestions previously offered in this and other forums (disable/enable, sign out/sign in, uninstall/reinstall, force sync, etc.) to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sync Issues with Messages App
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jameskuzman,

Wow! It sounds like you have done a lot of troubleshooting with this already. We greatly appreciate it. Have you tried logging in on another computer and seeing if the messages come through? If not, we encourage you to do so. This will help us eliminate further.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Sync Issues with Messages   App
jameskuzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Robin - I tried to do everything I could think of before asking for some help 🙂

The original computer is an iMac running the new Yosemite software. I am experiencing the same thing on a Macbook Air running Mountain Lion, so it doesn't seem to be hardware or OS-specific, at least within the OS X family.

I wish I could further determine if there was a common denominator or pattern among the users whose messages I'm not getting, but other than the fact that so far they are all iPhone users, I can't really come up with anything.

So far I have had issues with three known people each using an iPhone 4, an iPhone 5C, and an iPhone 5S. The iPhone 4 is running iOS7 while the 5C and 5S are running iOS8. This has happened both when they are using their phones on WiFi or using 3G/4G data.

Jim

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jameskuzman

Thanks for those details! I'd love to make sure we get everything up and running for you. Let's make sure Continuity is turned on! On your phone, please go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding, and make sure your Mac is listed and enabled! Check out all the details about Continuity requirements here: http://bit.ly/1AUNdUr

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jameskuzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Ruth -

I am not using an iPhone, but rather an HTC One (M8). Does that change things at all?

Jim

0 Likes
jameskuzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, a new nugget of information to add:

I didn't even realize there was a web-based version of Messages, but once I discovered that, I decided to log in and give that a go instead.

Interestingly, the message history *exactly* mirrors what I see on the desktop app. That is to say, every incoming message that is missing from the desktop app is also missing from the web app.

I'm sure that information means something, but exactly what, I'm not sure. I would certainly seem to take the focus off of the desktop app itself, though, and point us instead to whatever commonalities exist between the desktop and web-based versions of the program.

Jim

0 Likes