Syncing contacts with both Google Contacts and Verizon Cloud
Vortrex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Preface: I used to use Motorola Connect to send texts from my PC - but it is being discontinued. I have always used Google Contacts to back up my contacts.

So. As a result I was going to move over to PushBullet or some other service like it, but Verizon already has this capability included. While playing with it I discovered Verizon Cloud and quickly realized that all contact info used in the Message+ web app is pulled from Verizon Cloud...So all my messages in the web app are just showing phone numbers instead of names. Gr.

Question: I want to find a way to sync my contacts to both Cloud and G-Contacts. I've done some cursory searches, but no real luck. I know I can make a flat file to transfer the contacts, but I don't want to have to do that all the time. Is there some setting I've missed somewhere that does this?

I just want to be able to see my contacts on the Message+ web app. If there is no solution I'll just move to PushBullet or something as originally planned. I'd rather use the built in feature if I can though.

Current Phone  - Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Syncing contacts with both Google Contacts and Verizon Cloud
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vortrex Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your messaging concerns. I can understand wanting to have them in one location. You can have both G-Contacts and the Verizon Cloud, however you can only use one for contacts.
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I never got VM+ to show contacts correctly.  I used MightyText until a free limit was imposed.  I use Pushbullet now.  You can file transfer like you say, but you'll never get a constant copy without doing the same again.  I rather use Gmail as my contacts backup personally.  The phone, in Contacts, Menu, Settings, can allow you to display the contact list you want to use, but having Verizon and Gmail selected will give you duplicates if any of the info is the same.  Having one source for contacts to be displayed from is best.  Of course, backing up contacts to the cloud elsewhere for archival purposes is fine too.

0 Likes
Vortrex
Enthusiast - Level 2

You use pushbullet to, eh? Seems pretty popular.

Yeah I know about the contact display, and google is the only place I have contacts atm (that I want to display anyway). In a perfect world, when I create a contact it would be synced to both accounts. I'd only display Google Contacts, but then I'd be able to use Message+ online. I've always used Handcent, but i'm trying out Message+ with this new phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Good luck with that VM+ desktop and web app.  The app on the phone is OK, but the sync portion is sad.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Vortrex Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your messaging concerns. I can understand wanting to have them in one location. You can have both G-Contacts and the Verizon Cloud, however you can only use one for contacts.
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vortrex
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured as much, but still a pity. It would be mostly unnecessary complexity form a dev stand point - little benefit, massive change to the way contacts work. I'll just use PushBullet then, thanks!

Also thanks for your help Snn5!

Snn5
Legend

You can use BOTH for contacts.  The phone can show BOTH sources for contacts.  You can use BOTH to back up contacts via sync.  Google does so automatically and you can use Cloud to also sync.  It's when you ADD contacts that you choose which to save to.

0 Likes
Vortrex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, but I'm not going to make 2 every time lol. Way too lazy for that.

Snn5
Legend

I was pointing out that the rep wasn't entirely correct with their generalized reply.

0 Likes
Vortrex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh! Good point!