Text notifications disappear
tgalang9

On my Sony Xperia Z3V, recently upgraded to Android 5.1.1, I began using Verizon Messaging Plus. When I get a text, my phone vibrates, a notification icon appears for three seconds, and then disappears. So if I miss the vibration, there is no notification icon to see, and the only way I know if I've gotten a new text message is to open the app. Does anyone know why this is happening? I've checked the app itself, and all system settings, and the app has all the permissions it needs to give notifications.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text notifications disappear
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tgalang9, we never want you missing any important text messages. I'm glad to see that you've check out all the settings in the application. Did you ever have this kind of issue with the other text message applications? Has this always been the case since you've been using the Verizon Messaging App? Keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tgalang9

Thanks for checking in. This started as soon as I upgraded from Android 4.4.4 to 5.1.1. You will notice that almost all Sony Xperia z3v users who upgraded are having text messaging problems. I tried the stock Android app, Messaging+, the Google app. The Android app does not work at all. The Google app gives me good notifications, and will receive messages, but won't send messages. Messenging+ has all functionality except proper notifications.

0 Likes
Justin71

I am having the exact same problem with my Sony xperia z3. It is very frustrating as it marks messages as read as well as the notification going away after a couple seconds, so I have to look at several top messages when I've been unable to look for a while to make sure I didn't miss anything. It looks like support is taking their time to respond @KevinR_VZW?

I found a temporary workaround in this thread Re: Update now message app won't show notifications but this is clearly an xperia z3 bug with their new software update that needs to be addressed. The temporary fix is to Go to settings, application manager, all applications, select message+, and then click "uninstall updates". It should prompt you to install the factory version, choose yes (it took me back to version 6.0.10). You will lose texts that since the update was installed, so to restore them, open Message+, click the settings button in the upper left and select "restore messages" (I chose restore from online and it restored my recent texts). I don't know how to prevent to app from updating itself, this worked for a couple days until the app updated 😕

Don't mark this as a solution or I'm guessing support will ignore the thread and this needs to be addressed!

0 Likes
tgalang9

Thank you. That worked! You can change your settings in the Google Play Store, to not update apps automatically. Then the app will not update on you. However you should go there every other day or so, and manually update your other apps. Current version on Message + is 6.1.3. When I see that there is an update for a later version, I may try that. However you lose a portion of your text message history when you uninstall the updates.

0 Likes
Justin71

Yeah I deactivated auto-updates as well. Were you unable to restore your messages received since the update? You can go to Message+, click the settings button in the upper left and select "restore messages" (I chose restore from online and it restored my recent texts).

0 Likes