Trackball on Droid Eris
AmberB

I have the Droid Eris and my trackball doesn't work now. I can scroll up or down but not side to side. I've done a hard reset and no resolution. Anyone else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trackball on Droid Eris
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Try taking the phone into your nearest Verizon Wireless store to see if any other customers are experiencing the same issues and to see if there is a fix for this issue.

0 Likes
eris_007

I had issues with track ball. it would erratically trigger activity. it would aggravate with inserting the USB jack. VZW offered me a replacement. After 20 days (approx) the new one doesn't scroll to one side. I had to press real hard to make it work. This morning what I found is, if I plugged in the USB jack, applied a gentle force upwards on the jack, and tried the track ball, it would work.  The USB port is messing with the track ball assembly. Bad design I guess. Now consider, the Google Nexus Phone, same placement of track ball, same manufacturer, will I buy it - probably not.

0 Likes
AmberB

Thanks ya'll

Apparently it is a known issue but not one that is addressed in the software update! Gotta tough it out I guess

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

My understanding is that it's a hardware/design issue, not a software problem, so the update wouldn't be able to correct it, unfortunately. It has something to do with the way the trackball and usb charging port are situated in relation to each other.

0 Likes
eris_007

HTC Droid ERIS Incredible has no mechanical track ball - it has an optical track pad. Thanks for design improvement.

But I am still stuck with the irritating track ball issue. Not that I use it a lot. But, if it is there and if and when I wanted to use it, it has to work. I will speak with VZW Cust supp & see what they have to say.

0 Likes
eris_007

Made N number of attempts over the past 2 months to get the level 1 as well level 2 staff at VZW customer support understand that there is a genuine issue with the HTC Droid Eris Track Ball. They deny any known issue and are asking me to pay "One Year" price and buy a phone of my choice. Not the best of Customer friendly suggestion!!!  Obviously not music to my ears - for some one that has been a Verizon Customer from a decade - that is not the best of ways to reward loyalty. I recently switched my verizon land line to another carrier. I will let the contract expire and switch all the cell phones to the iPhone as well. Meanwhile Google Hits for "Droid Eris Track Ball Issue" has crossed 618K. High time VZW woke up from slumber. VZW customer support is totally "One Way Traffic" where they only do what they want to. Not listening to what our isue is. Very insensitive.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Take it to the store. It's a physical issue that you can show them. My first Eris blew a speaker so I took it in. The guy made a call to verify, then ordered a new one on the spot. A lot of people have been having issues with this phone and have been making up any excuse to get it replaced. Physical evidence of a real problem will go a long way.
0 Likes