Tried to send a text, received this message: you have been blocked from originating messages to (insert phone number)
nibur
Enthusiast - Level 1

Help! I can text other people, but can't text one specific person. Had trouble texting the number last night, tried several times, kept saying "Not sent. Tap to try again". Kept getting the same message.

Tried to text this morning and received this message: "you have been blocked from originating messages to (insert phone number)."

It's not someone that would block me. Any clue what might be going on? I texted other friends without a problem.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tried to send a text, received this message: you have been blocked from originating messages to
TechTac
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLVED.

This happened to me, the exact same message, because the person I was trying to text was using Straight Talk Wireless, and his account had run out of minutes/money.  Straight Talk is a prepaid wireless service that uses the Verizon network.  When the account runs dry, Verizon blocks the phone.  You can't send to it.  They can't receive anything.

They can't call or text you to tell you their phone is dead... because their phone is dead.

In my case, I was able to call the Straight Talk phone number (877-430-2355), choose Option #6 for tech support, enter my friend's phone number, and refill their account using a Service PIN from the back of a Straight Talk "No Contract 30-day Plan" refill card.  These are available at major stores in the gift card area.  You can use a credit card too if you go to straighttalk.com and do the refill there.  You just need to know their number.

Once I refilled his account with minutes, I could text him immediately.

There are other services besides Straight Talk that use the Verizon network, so make sure you know what service they're using.

Hopefully this helps someone.

View solution in original post

Re: Tried to send a text, received this message: you have been blocked from originating messages to
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I use my text messages to stay connected daily and want to ensure you can rely on your text messages as well, nibur. The message you are receiving sounds like you may be blocked from messaging that specific number. Are you able to call this number? Is this number able to text you? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Tried to send a text, received this message: you have been blocked from originating messages to (insert phone number)
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@nibur wrote:

Help! I can text other people, but can't text one specific person. Had trouble texting the number last night, tried several times, kept saying "Not sent. Tap to try again". Kept getting the same message.

Tried to text this morning and received this message: "you have been blocked from originating messages to (insert phone number)."

It's not someone that would block me. Any clue what might be going on? I texted other friends without a problem.

Did you check with the person who you cannot text?  Could be they inadvertently 'blocked' your number.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
paranormalrob2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue trying to send a text to my old number, hoping they will send me a code that Facebook texts to recover my account. At first, it did the same between my own 2 phones I have now, but when I went to the keypad, the 3 dots on top, settings, I found 1 phone was blocking unknown numbers. However, I still can't text or call my previous number.

sb123460

I'm having this same error but am able to receive their message and calls. I've tried everything...seriously.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to stay connected and send messages is a must. We see how inconvenient this can be. Let's work together and ensure that you can continue to use your services with no issues. Does this only happen with this number? Which text message application are you using to send messages?

GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Tried to send a text, received this message: you have been blocked from originating messages to (insert phone number)
sandmanx13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. I cannot text my daughter but she can text me. We are on the same account. I can call and it goes through. This just started about a month ago. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to send text messages to your daughter is important, Sandmanx13. What text message application are you using on your device? Is it random when you cannot send messages to your daughter or is it all the time for the past month now? 

0 Likes
Kacwilliams89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m having the same problem. My best friend (who also has Verizon) is the only one I’m having a problem reaching. I can get her messages but I’m constantly getting the blocked messages notification. I’m using the text message app that the phone came with. I don’t have any special texting apps except WhatsApp but I never use it. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want to make sure that you're able to send and receive text messages without any trouble! Please tell us, when did this issue first start? What is the make and model of your device? Are you able to make calls and receive calls from this number?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes