Two phones with Android 8.1.0 and WiFi issues
Ropeguru

So I had a Motorola G4 which started having bluetooth issues. It then updated to Android Oreo 8.1.0 at which time the WiFi started repeatedly connecting, disconnec ting, then re connecting over and over at various times.

Given the issues, we went into a Verizon store and bought the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2. Got home, went through the activation procedures and all seemed great. Until!!! I noticed that the WiFi was doing the exact same thing on this phone also. All other devices in my household weren't having any issues at all. So I took a look as the phone info and guess what!! Yep!! Also running Android Oreo 8.1.0...

So normally this wouldn't be an issue but the phone belongs to my wife and she streams audio all day long doing work around the house. Now that we have these WiFi issues, out data usage has gone from aroound less than 2GB per month to over 3.65GB per month. This is totally unacceptable.

So I am running Ubiquiti Unifi gear as my wireless and thought there may be some incompatibility. Just putchased and installed a TP Link EA-245 V3 access point, and immediately had the same issue. I can sit and watch the phone and it will start disconnecting and re connecting over and over, then maybe stay for a while, then start again. It is random and is not due to any programs we installed as it did this right out of the box. I doubt it is a faulty phone since the Moto G4 did the exact same thing after it updated to Oreo 8.1.0.

I am suspecting an issue with Android itself, but cannot find any other posts on the net that match this issue. Anyone esle seen this??

0 Likes
Re: Two phones with Android 8.1.0 and WiFi issues
bearone21
Legend

wi-fi depends on the signal from your isp.........could be a modem or router issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using additional data on your account is never the experience we want for you to have. I was saddened to read that you have had two different devices disconnecting the WiFi in your house. The previous post that BearOne21 mentioned, was correct. The device will connect to the strongest signal that is available. If the WiFi signal has a diminished strength, the device will connect to our VZW network to provide the connection. Have the speeds on the WiFi been checked recently? Are there any other mobile devices in the house that has the same experiences? 

VeronicaM_VZW

0 Likes
Ropeguru

Unfortunately, signal strength is NOT the issue. The phone can be directly under the AP and still go through the disconnect/reconnect issue. 

This is not an issue of changing back and forth between cell and wifi. This is an issue where I am @ Settings --> connections --> WiFi and seeing "disconnected --> connecting --> obtaining IP --> connected --> disconnected --> connecting --> obtaining IP --> connected" over and over again. I do NOT get this on any other device, including my Galaxy S8+ on Verizon, in my house. Only two phones both running Android 8.1 on Verizon.

At this point I have even swapped vendors for the AP and still getting the same issue. I have even set the Kyocera in safe mode and the issue persists.

0 Likes
Ropeguru

So are you saying that if I have WiFi turned on with an excellent signal and a good signal from Verizon, that the phone is going to choose cell data over WiFi data? No.. That is not how it works.

Anyway, this is not an issue of the phone selecting to use cell data over WiFi data as a priority. It is an issue of the WiFi connection disconnecting and re connecting over and over to the WiFi SSID even with an excellent signal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ropeguru, a big change in data usage would certainly have me questioning what was happening. It is alarming to hear that you are seeing this connect disconnect situation simply watching the phone. We have done some digging and do not find any similar reports with either this device or software version. With this said, I would like to try something to see if we may be able to avoid this disconnection. Please go to the Apps, Settings, Network & Internet, and Data Usage and turn off the Mobile Data Access. Once this is off please connect with the W-Fi and let us know if you still see this disconnection.

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes