UPDATE??
xxxdroidxxx

Been waiting for months for the 2.1 or 2.0 update.  and nothing.  No straight answers on anything.  Pretty sad that as much as we pay a month for service and pay for phones and lock ourselves down to a contract and cant get updates until 3 or 4 upgrades have come out. 1.5 on the eris.  LOL  Its like they have us locked down so no need to service us.  its all about how to get a new customer and who cares about the current customers.  How if your a new customer you get special promo's but if you are a long time customer they just dont care.  on wireless or the wire line service with them is the same.

I called last week and Verizon told me that on March 23rd we would have the N1 coming out.  then the eris will get an update this month.  I called back tonight.  and no clue about the 23rd of march and the N1.  Then the update will be by May 30th.  

Why mention an update at all and just surprise us all.  That way we dont get sick of waiting.  Why mention on the google site that the N1 is coming soon.  Just mention it when its released.  Or if they do tell there is an update or new phone coming out then give the date of what to expect.  

If they dont have info in the next few weeks then Iphone and AT&T here i come.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: UPDATE??
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

You should be directing this at HTC. They are responsible for your phone's OS. Verizon can't roll out what they don't have.

0 Likes
Angel894

I am sure the phone manufacturers are just as much to blame as, if not more so, than Verizon for release dates.  Even though waiting on the Incredible is driving me crazy, I'm glad I know it's coming.  I would be upset if I got a Droid/Eris just to have something better come out so "soon" after.  

Now, I am aware something better will always be coming.  It's just that while the current Droids are not bad phones, in truth I would have just been settling.  They both have features that don't quite sit well with me.

0 Likes
Big_Red_Loyal

logicman wrote:

You should be directing this at HTC. They are responsible for your phone's OS. Verizon can't roll out what they don't have.

This is a half truth. 

How can I say that, you may scream.

HTC says,  "all updates have been released to those carriers requesting them. Please contact your carrier."

SO! Here are the options: HTC is lying, VZW never requested an update, VZW has the update and it's stuck in update testing hell.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

I read somewhere that Verizon executives are a really bunch of sadists who purposely withhold updates so they can come here and watch people go crazy over not getting software updates for their phones. :smileywink:

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's just a telephone.  Why is it so important that you have the latest, greatest phone or software, as long as it works.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

jimfitzgerald wrote:

It's just a telephone.  Why is it so important that you have the latest, greatest phone or software, as long as it works.

If that were true, you would have bought a plain old phone and saved yourself $30 a month on the data plan.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Not really.  I waited four years to upgrade my phone.  I'll probably wait another four years to replace my Droid.  I also bought the Droid instead of waiting for the N1.  I have 2.0 and don't see a need to rant and rave about 2.1.

0 Likes
BigKahuna

I have the same answer from Verizon in regards to the 2.1 updates:smileyvery-happy:, I think they are testing or fixing any bugs before they release it. If they release it and they are problems, all they are going to hear from us is complaining. I own the Eris for about 2 months now and a upgrade would be nice, but I rather have Verizon test it throughly before they release it. I read in a forum that the 2.1 will format all your data, I'm sure you wouldn't like that to happen.

0 Likes
DrTran
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have to say i'm just as excited about the update as everyone else, as i've had my Moto Droid for just barely a month and LOVE it, however people need to realize that the release of the update is determined by Google more so than Verizon Wireless, as VZW has almost no hand in the development of updates for software. The Android OS platform is Google's baby, not VZW's... so when GOOGLE is ready to release the update to VZW (and other carriers needing 2.1 updates for that matter), GOOGLE will tell everyone when it's ready. Once that's done, THEN you can look to VZW for an official date. Remember, VZW is a service provider and NOT a software developer, so this is not something that can be dictated by VZW. At most, VZW is probably tapping Google on the shoulder saying "hey guys, what's up? We gonna get an update soon or what?" The company is probably just as eager and anxious to get it as all of us are!
0 Likes