Re: Unfortunately Package Access Helper has Stopped
aradcliff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just started having this same problem today, has anyone gathered any further information on this trouble from Verizon?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
aradcliff, we don't want this to be an ongoing problem for you. Let's reset that application. Tap Settings>Applications>tap Application Manager>Tap the Amazon App>Force Stop & Clear Data. Power that device off/on to soft reset it. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
aradcliff
Enthusiast - Level 1

My trouble isn't with the Amazon app, it is with attempting to install 3rd

party apps as well as moving apps to the SD card.

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
bsquared757
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get same issue but not just with amazon with Google also

bsquared757
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since lollipop I haven't been able to update or install new apps and it's very annoying. I've tried all the fixes. Always has a problem after downloading during the install phase. I get a package helper error. I've stopped that process cleared cache and restarted and nothing same thing everytime. Very annoying to pay for a phone and it not work because of Verizons update.

RB_65
Enthusiast - Level 1

As stated earlier, the link early  in the thread has the fix. Like others, I could not install Google Play apps, I couldn't install Amazon apps, I could not move apps to my SD card. I would reboot my phone and get the Package Helper error as well. Pull your SD card (unmounting it didn't work for me). Once I did that and turned my phone back on, an Amazon app that kept on failing finally installed. Once that completed, Google Play application installs worked again. Just to verify, I put the SD card back in and promptly received the Package Helper error and I was, yet again, unable to install Amazon apps. Removing the card made the error go away and got the Amazon install working properly. I then tried this with another SD card that was newly formatted and the problem happened again.

If support is still following this thread, it is not a problem with Google Play, Amazon or SD cards. It has to do with the latest upgrades. I've been on other threads where support has had people wipe their phones and start from scratch only to find out that they are worse off since they can't even get their applications back onto their phones. The worst part of this problem is that I found that many of my apps (set to auto-update) were still waiting. The only way I could update Google Play apps with my SD card installed is to select each one individually and click update. That is a major hassle for 30+ updates that needed to be processed. If I tried Update All, the process would hang until I rebooted my phone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
bsquared757, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue for you. Do you have several 3rd party applications downloaded to your phone? Try uninstalling any unwanted applications in Settings>More>Application Manager>tap the Application>Tap Uninstall. Once you have uninstalled unwanted applications, power your device off/on and try to download a new application.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
AJHenderson16
Enthusiast - Level 1

This does not appear to be related to third party software.  I have isolated the problem to a failure of the Package Manager to properly request a directory creation in asec (or the failure of the requested allocation to occur).  The relevant logcat is below:

I/PackageHelper(30558): createSdDir with ext4

D/MountService( 1188): :::: createSecureContainer :: id = smdl1219738106.tmp, sizeMb = 254, fstype = ext4, ownerUid = 10008, external = true

D/Vold ( 299): VolumeManager::createAsec -> id(smdl1219738106.tmp), numSectors(520192) fstype(ext4) isExternal(1)

E/Vold ( 299): Couldn't find ASEC name (smdl1219738106.tmp)

D/Vold ( 299): calling ftruncate num 271667712

QuantumBiker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exact same error using Google play store. Verizon robots need not reply, must see indication response is not from a robot.

0 Likes
QuantumBiker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same error using Google play store

0 Likes