Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones include tethering?
Niteperson

I currently have the Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones plan for my Droid.  A description of that plan specifically indicates that tethering is not allowed.  The Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones does not seem to have that restriction, at least according to the plan description.  Can I tether using my Droid if I upgrade to that plan?

Also, are there any reasons I would not be able to upgrade to that plan?  My family and I are currently on a Nationwide Family plan.  I'm the only one who has a smartphone.

Thanks,

Tony

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones include tethering?
AZSALUKI
Legend

technically, tethering violates the terms of all of their service agreements, unless you have a specific phone (incredible or palm) that they allow it for...and it's an additional service fee (i think $30/month). even the "unlimited" plans are really limited to 5 gb i believe? you can tether now with certain apps. vzn markets this open platform and sells the heck out of these droids by encouraging the use of apps.....and there's some apps that do things that vzn wishes they didn't. you'll see that shortly this thread may get edited because they don't even like us to discuss it on their forum. but you can use an app to tether now and it violates your terms....but technically, using any apps for anything violates the terms.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

No the unlimited isn't limited to 5GB yet.  Maybe in the future when they change the rate structure surrounding LTE's release but currently on the phone unlimited is unlimited.  Tethering is both allowed and not allowed.  The Corporate account was created after all the open stuff and doesn't include language about apps but the other plan still includes the language.  Technically even the Verizon service violates that particular TOS but who's counting.  If you have an incredible it is $30 a month to do Broadband connect (which is limited to 5GB) with the regular phone data plan $15 for corporate accounts.  The reason being the corporate accounts are more expensive.  All of it is still in place but in reality doesn't match up with the way the other Service providers are going nor does it match up with the direction Verizon is going.  Maybe by the time LTE comes out and all this stuff gets redone the confusion and conflicts will be terminated whether for the better or worse.  Probably the latter because it is after all a business.  Nevermind the example of how much money you can make hand over fist if you take a chance and give people what they want (example of the iPhone before that no one was allowed apps that weren't provided by the service provider and all control was on them.  A chance was taken on a stubborn Apple upstarting a phone with the stubborn idea that the software would come from outside developers and marketed by Apple.  The rest is history.). 

0 Likes
Niteperson

Thanks for the replys.  I wouldn't use it enough for it to be worth $30/month.  I travel only a couple times a year and thought it would be good to have at the airport or as an alternative to the usually sucky free/paid hotel wifi.  The Corporate plan is only $6 more than my smartphone plan (at least temporarily) and, if it allowed it, I thought it might be worth the upgrade.  Otherwise, the $30/month charge is excessive.  Pass.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

They may not get mad if you go over 5GB here or there but "unlimited" really isn't unlimited.  In the TOS, they still reserve the right to terminate you for usage if they feel it is harming their network.  And they could easily assume that you're tethering and violating your TOS with high usage.

0 Likes